+ Reply to Thread

Default help with paint ideas for plaster medallion

My husband just finished stripping this medallion and now has a coat of primer over it we are trying to decide if we should paint colors on it and if so what. We were thinking of pastels and making the leaves light green and so on. This is in the middle of our 135 yr old brick victorian living room. The pic does not do it justice. It was painted all a real dark green before. We would love your input. This is my first post so if I am doing this wrong sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceiling.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	3354  

Default Re: help with paint ideas for plaster medallion

Very nice medallion.

Most I have seen have been one color. Either painted to match the ceiling, gilded, or painted a dark color so the smoke from a kerosene lamp would show as easily.

Chances are you won't be using kerosene lamps and , it's your house so you can do as you please.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: help with paint ideas for plaster medallion

I will agree with JLM.
    Most ceiling medallion's I have seen in building dating back 1703 thru 1890 have been painted the same color as the ceiling.
    In some cases the medallion was white and the ceiling was painted a shade darker.
    Just finished a Theatre dating back to the to early 1800 ceilings and medallions were white.
    Working a church as of this date Ceiling off white lime paint, Cornice white lime paint and medallion flat leaves are gilded back ground of medallion off white lime paint. All this looks very nice.
    Please note The painting was done by an artist not the plaster.