+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this a Victorian?

Hello -

I am trying to determine the style of this house. It is located in New England and was apparently built around 1890+/-. It has a very big foyer/entry for this size home with detailed mouldings i.e. dentil etc. and a large stained glass window on the landing of the stairway as well as two smaller stained glass windows in upstairs rooms.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA7XN682.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	1772  

Default Re: Is this a Victorian?

Victorian covers a lot of ground. Off the top of my head I would say 'Queen Ann Vernacular' due to the asymmetry and the way the porch is partially incorporated into the front portion of the house. Does it have the original siding? It's difficult to tell from such a small picture. Another hallmark of Queen Ann is a variety of different textures/types of surface treatments, such as fishscale siding on the gables, for example. Just the opinion of an opinionated house nut who took some architectural preservation courses a while back. YMMV of course.

Thanks for the reply.... Nope, on the original siding. All aluminum siding, oh yay. Hopefully at some point the budget will allow us to start over on the siding and we will find more clues underneath. But that is probably a ways down the road. I am interested in trying to preserve the interior to the appropriate style/period as much as possible and then move to the outside as I am sure the siding project could turn into a large expense.

Thanks again.

Howdy could call it a farm house style. Great books at the library explore the differences. Looks like a nice place.

It's a one-and-one-half story farmhouse with a transverse gable roof and a projecting cross gable bay. There is a hipped dormer and a shed-roofed entry porch. It is of a traditional/plain, unornamented builder's vernacular style.
    S_M
    Last edited by Sombreuil_mongrel; 01-21-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: information
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.