+ Reply to Thread

Default I really don't wanna change the tub, but....

Ok, I know I'll probably ultimately have to do it anyway. I have a tub that was a replacement from Lowes sometime after the house was built in the mid 70's. It was such a POS that Lowes had to repair it after it was installed. The first time I ever used it, I had to position my feet in the 'curves' making the sidewalls of the tub because of the flexing I could feel standing there. So, time went by and the house left our possession, finally got it back and of course I had to virtually rebuild the house...reluctantly leaving the tub alone, per the wife that was the original owner long before I came into the picture. Anyway, she's changed her mind and no longer trusts it (I never did but it was HER house). Is there ANY way of repairing the bottom of this tub that will fix the earlier screw up by Lowes and give strength to the floor of the tub? Yes, I know that there are 'Bathfitters' out there but I read way too many complaints to trust them to put in a 'shell'. I even pulled out the cabinets in the kitchen and cut the wall (directly behind the tub) to see if I could shore it up with custom cut lumber but whoever made this junk ran the floor to the bottom of the housing...I would 've thought I'd seen some ribs here and there and just add a few more...but nooooo. I even considered using fiberglass to make a form from the old floor and create an new 'panel' that I will fiberglass in and 'blend' it to the original tub. (I have many talents!) but that still will not stop flexing unless I back the 'panel' with 3/4" plywood...but that WILL require a lot more work making it work than is worth...I mean if I gotta make a new tub, may as well buy one and do what I dread doing. I just dread having to go under the house to do what plumbing might be needed to get the new one plumbed...scared of 2 things- probably find more substandard construction from the fly by nite that built this jewel, and the fact that the idiot that built it, built it only 15 inches above the ground...and I'm a big boy, can barely get my shoulders in the access door. Apparently they didn't have any codes in the '70's. Any advice other than replace the tub?

Default Re: I really don't wanna change the tub, but....

Not sure how or if it would work but how about using spray foam under the shower pan to fill in any gabs that are causing the flexing. That stuff gets pretty hard and may provide enough support if you can't shim it with wood. It does however stick to everything so cleaning it up or removing it at a later time could be a little bit of extra work. Hope this helps you out.