+ Reply to Thread

Question older window won't open

Hope someone can help me with this problem. I just bought an older home and most of the windows don't open. I have tried a few things already. It looks like they are either painted shut or the wood may have expanded. Some of the windows look tight in the frame.

I have tried:
    1. Cutting the paint with a knife (actually a pizza cutter worked good)
    2. Tapping a putty knife along the edges, top and bottom
    3. Tapping a wood block along the frame

So far the windows have not moved.

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: older window won't open

I take it you ran the putty knife on th inside and outside but did you remember to run it in between the upper and lower sash where they meet?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I've tried that with my 1926 wooden windows - NOTHING works. That putty knife's been everywhere there is or should be a separation between the windows: NADA!

Any thoughts?

Next stip would be to try and remove the stops. Cut along them to break the paint then try to pry them out.
    Jack

These are regular old windows with an upper and lower sash. They're just painted shut! I have some windows where only the bottom opens, some where only the top opens and only ONE in the entire apartment where both halves of the window work!

Yes I unlocked the hardware. I'm not sure what type of window it is. My house is about 60 or 70 years old. I noticed it looks like it has a pully that I can see. I am also able to open about 4 of my windows all of the same type. I did run the putty knife inbetween the top of the window and nothing.

One problem you may have is that the paint is built up so9 thick in the channel that the window rides in that it is acting like a stop. I would suggest you remove the window stops and try removing the sashes. then you can stip the excess paint from the frame and sahes and repaint.
    Jack