+ Reply to Thread

Question temporary leak between tank and bowl

I have two Sterling 1.6 gpf toilets in my three year old house that have the same problem. I have a trickle of water coming from my tank into the bowl which lasts for five to ten minutes then it stops. You notice this when looking directly at the bowl at 12 o'clock.

I do not have any water dripping from my fill valve and I've tried different flappers. I just replaced the flush valve with a fluidmaster flush valve kit as that has a new flapper and seat. This did not resolve my problem.

Has anyone else had this problem before I resort to calling a plumber?
    Last edited by dwoodhall; 03-25-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: leak only lasts for about 10 minutes

Default Re: small constant leak between tank and bowl

Check the water level inside the tank to ensure it's not too high and spilling into the overflow/fill tube.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

yes I checked the water level and I have an inch between the water level and the overflow pipe.

thank you.

Reach into the tank and press firmly on the flapper valve. If the water stops running in the bowl, you know it's the flapper that is leaking. If it continues, then the overflow tube may be cracked, allowing water to leak.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If the small fill line that goes to the over flow pipe is inside that pipe and close to the water level in the tank you could be getting a small siphoning action that pulls water out of the tank to the bowl.