+ Reply to Thread

Question Snow on the Internet Satellite Dish

HI
    I am looking for plans to build an enclosure for my wildblue internet satellite dish. I live up in snow county in Tuolumne County CA and so done with digging out to the dish and cleaning it.

Any help out there? I have someone who can build it but need ideas, plans.

Also has anyone had experience with dish covers and heaters on an internet system? What works, who makes it and where to find.

Thanks

Default Re: Snow on the Internet Satellite Dish

Wildblue is line of site, so you can't enclose it. Your best option would be to put a roof over it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack,
    I quess I should have been more specific, I am thinking of a three sided enclosure, think outhouse with no door and a roof that extends over the front a foot or so with the dish (on pole) in the rear of the structure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sbrrymom View Post
    Jack,
    I quess I should have been more specific, I am thinking of a three sided enclosure, think outhouse with no door and a roof that extends over the front a foot or so with the dish (on pole) in the rear of the structure.

Thanks
    well there you go I think you came up with a pretty nifty Idea make the area around it look like out of the 1800s wagon wheels, pitcher pump and old out house complete with half moon door

I'm not sure how it is there but here when we have snow storms the wind is almost always out of the west and the dish faces southwest. An enclosure could end up being completely packed with snow. I found this dish heater on the net http://www.dishdepot.com/accessories.jsp says it works on Hughesnet and Wildblue. This is for information only not an endorsement or recommendation.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-05-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The heaters are rarely ( if at all ) used along with any covers during winters around here.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I don't know about home satellite dishes, but for commercial dishes they have fiberglass covers. The signal passes right through the fiberglass.

I think the fiberglass covers are for telecommunication microwave
    antenna dishes. We don't worry about heaters or covers that much around here either.