+ Reply to Thread

Default re-size kitchen cabinet

When we renovated our kitchen we decided to save some money by re-using our old refrigerator. A few years later we find that the space for the refrigerator is slightly small for the refrigerator we want to buy. Can we have a carpenter re-size the existing cabinet above the refrigerator space to provide 1-2" more head room? We've been told that we need to replace the cabinet, but this seems ridiculous.

Default Re: re-size kitchen cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by ljb View Post
    When we renovated our kitchen we decided to save some money by re-using our old refrigerator. A few years later we find that the space for the refrigerator is slightly small for the refrigerator we want to buy. Can we have a carpenter re-size the existing cabinet above the refrigerator space to provide 1-2" more head room? We've been told that we need to replace the cabinet, but this seems ridiculous.
    not at all. they would have to take out the cabinet and take it apart. it would probally be easier to to take face frame off the box and cut the face frame down and rebuild the box. an important aspect to keep in mind is how the doors on the cabinets line up. usually the tops of all the doors line up so this may limit how much you can cut off the bottom of the face frame. If you still know the caabinet company that manufactured your cabinets it might be easiest to contact them and have them build or order you a smaller cabinet.

Default Re: re-size kitchen cabinet

Yes and no it all depends on the bottom rail of the face frame and the doors. If you move the fridge out and measure the bottom rail of the face frame up to the bottom shelf how much room do you have? If you have an 1" or 2" and the cabinet doors don't hang down to low then an experienced woodworker or carpenter could remove enough material as long as there were no fasteners in the way. A few years back I built a fridge cabinet for someone. I measured their current fridge as they were going to keep it like you and wanted a snug fit. So after building and installing the cabinet the decided to change the appliances. I told them to make sure they got the same height fridge. Of course the got one that was a little to tall. I only had to take off 1/2" but was able to with a router and flush trim bit.

Of course if you don't have the room to play with on the face frame, there are fasteners in the way, or the doors hang down to low I would have to agree with Havana in that it would be easier to have the cabinet company build you a new cabinet. Hope this helps you out.