+ Reply to Thread

Default Built-in Hutch: Move or Sell?

I just bought my first house and I'm doing some major renovations on it. One of the things I'd like to do is totally redo the kitchen, right now it's absolutely tiny. The wall that I want to knock down to make room for an island and extra counter space is actually consumed by a built-in hutch on the other side of the wall, in the dining room. Knocking down this wall would essentially open up the kitchen to the dining room.

But the built-in hutch, it's in pretty good shape and unique. The house was built in 1945, so it's potentially that old. It's quite good looking as you can see in the pictures (sorry for the mess!) and has leaded glass panels that match some of the older custom-made windows in the house... That leads me to believe it was a local builder that did both the hutch and the windows, but I have no idea.

Anyway, I'd like to remove the built-in to make room for the kitchen renovation. I have no experience with how these things are built or installed, so I don't know where to begin. Ideally, I'd destroy the wall around and behind the hutch in order to expose how it's structured. From there, I would like to either sell it or build it as a standalone / install it on another wall in the dining room.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House11.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	3347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House12.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House13.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	3349  

Default Re: Built-in Hutch: Move or Sell?

That hutch looks like its from earlier than 1945 (1910 - 1925 or so)... Maybe they built the house to look older? Too bad you have to get rid of such a nice piece. Would it be possible to install it in a different wall in your dining room?