+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Value of Old Cast Iron Radiators from Hot Water Heat System?

Hey all! I'm new to the boards here and assume this question has been asked before, but a search turned up nothing.

I just bought my first home and I'm doing some major renovation work on it, part of that includes updating the heating system (converting from old hotwater/radiator to forced air). I have 7 cast iron radiators that I've removed, but I'm unsure exactly what to do with them. There are a few that have matching intricate designs, and a few others that are obviously from different 'sets'. Are these valuable in anyway? A quick googling suggests selling them for scrap metal, but I've seen people on craigslist selling them for $100-200.

Any suggestions? I'm in the Albany, NY area. Some pictures attached for reference (it only let me post 5).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House01.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	3341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House02.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	3342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House04.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	3344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House05.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	3345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House09.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	3346  

Default Re: Value of Old Cast Iron Radiators from Hot Water Heat System?

Howdy unless you locate a buyer that can haul them they are scrap metal value.

When we converted our 20 unit apartment building from steam to hot water I had to track down about 10 radiators as some of the old steam ones leaked when we went to hot water. I checked curb lawns, junk yards, classified ads etc. I usually spend about $30 to $40 per radiator but I was the exception to the rule. People mostly convert from radiator hot water to forced air and most old radiators are just junk metal - what a shame. If you live near a big city some salvage junk dealer might be interested but you would have to haul it to his yard and he would probably pay $20 to $30 per radiator assuming they are leak free.

I am looking for few none-leaking water radiators. wonder any one have them
    thanks

Jeez, Rappo I wish you'd think twice before switching from forced hot water to forced hot air!

The rads you have pictured are real old timers; I've lived in houses that had FHA and FHW & I would never have anything else now than FHW---the options in boilers, and convectors like rads, baseboard, sub-floor radiant, stainless steel rads, etc. are almost endless, as well as the endless options for zoning, later additions & modifications, etc.

Air-bourne problems with allergy-sufferers from FHA are non-existent with FHW.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 01-24-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rappo View Post
    Hey all! I'm new to the boards here and assume this question has been asked before, but a search turned up nothing.

I just bought my first home and I'm doing some major renovation work on it, part of that includes updating the heating system (converting from old hotwater/radiator to forced air). I have 7 cast iron radiators that I've removed, but I'm unsure exactly what to do with them. There are a few that have matching intricate designs, and a few others that are obviously from different 'sets'. Are these valuable in anyway? A quick googling suggests selling them for scrap metal, but I've seen people on craigslist selling them for $100-200.

Any suggestions? I'm in the Albany, NY area. Some pictures attached for reference (it only let me post 5).
    I am interested in at least one. I live in Albany and can pick it up. Thanks Mike
    Last edited by Cole; 02-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.

I have no idea how the boards work! I am in Albany NY and I need at least one radiator. I guess i can just watch the board to see how to reply. Thanks Mike Cole

I'm in S.W. Minnesota. We are in the process of removing a few of our 105 yr. old radiators. They are ornate and don't leak. I would rather give them away to someone refurbishing and old house than dump them in a scrap yard.

I live in Saint Paul. It's a long shot, but do you still have those working hot water radiators?

Default Value of Old Cast Iron Radiators from Hot Water Heat System?

My home has a hot water heat system and when the burner kicks on there are a series of loud knocks throughout the house.