+ Reply to Thread

Default Moisture Prevention in Basement

We own a vacation condo in Lenox, MA that is a split level with a finished basement. When my father lived there, he would run a de-humidifier in the basement during the summer to prevent mold. He later installed an A/C system the pretty much took care of the problem as the AH unit is located in the basement.
    Since we are only there for a weeks or so every other month, I was wondering what the best way was to minimize the humidity/moisture in the basement to prevent mold while we are not there.

I had an HVAC contractor recommend we leave the upstairs door open to the basement and set up a few box fans on a timer to just circulate the air. My thought was to see if I could have a timer installed on the air handler and just run the fan a few hours a day (without the A/C) to circulate the air from the basement throughout the rest of the unit. There are operable windows on the basement level that I typically keep closed.
    Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations. As you can imagine, we are looking for a cost effective solution.

Default Re: Moisture Prevention in Basement

Could you not just have a dehumidifier running while you're not there?
    They can have the holding tank removed and run a hose to a drain.

Or leave the door open and leave the fan for the HVAC running to keep the air circulated.

Default Re: Moisture Prevention in Basement

Yeah, run the dehum.
    Fungi/mold needs moisture, organics (wood) and a nice dark environment.
    If the home gets excessively humid and the lights are off, pushing the air around with fans may not be adequate - as you're just moving the moisture around.
    The simple solution is the dehum, as it will turn on and off as needed.
    Helping Homeowners understand the Typical Causes and Solutions to Hidden Content issues!