+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default hose bib drenches me every time I turn it on or off

When I turn my outdoor faucet on or off it sprays water sideways (not out of the faucet or between the hose and the faucet, but between two pieces of the faucet itself.) I get drenched every time, and the builder (the house is 1 1/2 years old) told me it's supposed to do that to relieve pressure and prevent freezing. I'm tired of having to wear a rain coat just to turn the water on or off. It never leaks when the water is all the way on or off. There doesn't appear to be any way of tightening the place where it leaks. I hope this makes sense - it's hard to describe.

Default Re: hose bib drenches me every time I turn it on or off

That is a backflow preventer and is operating as designed. While they do serve a purpose, the implementation leaves much to be desired. I've not recently looked to see if there are better alternatives out there, i.e., something that vents towards the ground instead of all directions.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

whats on the business end of the hose? if you have a sprayer or such and it is off this will give you this symptom. if you open whatever valve or sprayer on the other end of the hose before you turn on the bib to release pressure, then turn on the bib it shouldn't squirt at you. Same thing when you turn off the bib, open what ever valve or sprayer you have on the other end or make sure the hose isn't kinked then turn off the bib let the hose drain off excess water then when the pressure is off the hose release the sprayer handle or whatever. no more squirts at the hose bib then.

if nightime frosts/freezes in your area you should disconnect the hoses even frost proof ones can burst if you leave the hose attached and there is any water left in the hoses.

I've tried opening up the hose before I turn it on or off, and it doesn't help. It sprays at me even if there's no hose attached at all. I'll try wrapping a rag around the faucet. It won't look pretty, but it may deflect the water so it goes down instead of all over me. You'd think with all the technology around today, someone could come up with something better.

well there are better systems.

you could have AVB atmospheric vacuum breaker,a PVB pressure vacuum breaker, or a DCA double check assembly (we have) you could also have RPZ reduced pressure zone devices in some situations.

the usual avbs and pvbs on house's hose bibs don't protect against backpressure flow just usual backflow syphonage.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    well there are better systems.

you could have AVB atmospheric vacuum breaker,a PVB pressure vacuum breaker, or a DCA double check assembly (we have) you could also have RPZ reduced pressure zone devices in some situations.

the usual avbs and pvbs on house's hose bibs don't protect against backpressure flow just usual backflow syphonage.
    Ack! Too many acronyms!

First: tighten the packing nut. It's the hex nut around the stem that the handle is fastened to. Often this will fix the immediate problem, but after you shut off the water, open the nozzle to relieve the pressure and allow the vacuum breaker to drain.

There are two types of vacuum breakers used on hose bibbs: non-draining and self-draining. Both will prevent backflow of hose water into the potable water system, but the self-draining type will drain the "frost free" bibb in the event the hose is left on. The non-draining type could result in a frozen/damaged hose bibb if you left a hose connected in freezing weather. (You should always disconnect hoses if there's even a remote possibility of freezing weather, regardless of which type you have.) It sounds like you have the self-draining type.

What the poster above is suggesting is to install a non-draining vacuum breaker or check valve upstream of the hose bibb, and replace the hose bibb with a different type. I think it would be easier to just install a frost-free hose bibb with a non-draining vacuum breaker. The hose bibb will still drain once the hose is disconnected. Just remember to disconnect the hose!

Another option: fashion a hood out of a plastic beverage bottle and fasten it on with a zip tie. You'll still get water gushing out, but at least it'll be directed down instead of out.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 10-04-2008 at 02:31 AM.