+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slab Leak

Default Re: Slab Leak

Quote Originally Posted by biggesto View Post
    I looked at the water meter and it is barely creeping up, but it is moving just a hair. There is no sign of water anywhere either inside the house or outside. There's not even any condensation on the floor or anything. Outside, there are no damp spots on the footer or places where the grass is green (we've been in a drought the past couple months).
    Depending on the soil conditions a water line leak may never show up on the surface. Can you still hear the leak when the main shut off valve is off? Do you have an irrigation system that is connected to the water service line? If so this may be the source of the leak too.
    Slow The Flow

No irrigation system. The only place I can hear anything is when I put my ear next to the wall in the master shower and it doesn't seem to be there whe the valve is closed.

If it is a slab leak, it is better to repipe through the attic than to go through the hassle of hammering up the floor? I've heard that if one pipe goes, another will probably go. However, I'm not sure attic piping is an option in Indiana. This is a one story ranch with pipes to kitchen and two bathrooms so wouldn't think there is an awful lot to repipe.

Well, the leak detection guy came in and was able to pinpoint the leak under the kitchen floor in the cold water pipe. I guess now it is finding a plumber to tear up the floor, get through the slab, and fix the pipe. What a pain! And homeowner's insurance won't cover it since they label it as a maintenance issue. Hope this is a one time ordeal.

The plumbers are here After jackhammering up the kitchen floor and digging through gravel, they located the leak. Fixed it, turned on the water... and found a second leak. Fixed it, turned on the water... and found a third leak. Fixed it, turned on the water, and now working on a fourth leak. This is turning into a nightmare.