+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help please!

Exclamation help please!

i am working at a hotel in engineering and i have a medium size hole in my exterior wall. the surface looks like a stucko or plaster but on the inside of the wall it looks like it is made of styrofoam. i can not figure out what these walls are made of or what product i need to fix is could someone help me out please thanks Tommy

Default Re: help please!

mabe its eifs?

that's exterior insulation finishing system sometimes called synthetic stucco. it uses a finish coat on a strofoam like panel system product instead of a scratch coat on lath and a finish coat.

I'm guessing your talking about a stucco wall on the outside of the building.
    If that's the case it may be you have something similar to EPS .... basically stucco applied over styrofoam.
    Some stucco is applied over a fiber mesh and others over diamond mesh.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

thats right i have a fiber mesh right under the stucco marerial. so what product would i use to repair these holes just a normal stucco?

traditional stucco is a portland, sand product. synthetic stucco is a non-portland flexible acrylic product.

you'd first have to find out if you have traditional stucco with acrylic top coat, or synthetic stucco (no portland). then use the correct filling materials.

you'd also have to make sure you didn't interupt the drainage system of the underlying if there is one.

i have uploaded a picture of the wall can you tell wether i have acrylic coat or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exterior wall.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	1659  

What you're showing is EIFS also known as the trademark name of Dryvit and a few others like Sto. Here is link to Dryvit http://www.dryvit.com/home.asp?country_id=1 or http://www.dryvit.com/fileshare/doc/...tion/ds498.pdf
    It's easy to fix if you have the right materials.