+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Baseboards

Hello! I heat with hot water(propane) and have the baseboards along the floor. I have a good size home and I have two rooms that I really do not need to heat upstairs. Is there a way to shut these baseboards off in these two rooms? I do not see any valve or anything on the side of these baseboards where I could shut them off. I do have two zones one for downstairs and the upstairs. Thanks in advance. Jenn

Default Re: Water Baseboards

jenn:

It would depend on the way the piping was set up when installed from and to the boiler.

There is series loop piping, monoflow valve piping, two-pipe piping, etc.

Since there are no shut-off valves near the baseboard, you probably have a series loop that can't be shut off.

It's usually not a good idea anyway---baseboards and the associated piping contain water that can easily freeze and burst the pipes in sub-freezing weather---a real mess, especially if it happens inside the walls somewhere.

But have the piping checked out---you can have TRV's (thermostatic radiator valves) installed on each run of baseboard if you don't have series loop piping; that will reduce the room temps and save you a few bucks each winter.

Be wise, look elsewhere as a means of saving fuel $$$---adding lots of insulation in exterior walls & attics will save big $$$ without risking a pipe freezup.

http://highperformancehvac.com/boile...ter-loops.html
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 10-03-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will look for other ways to save.

You mention to add insulation in the attic. I would but I cannot get to my attic, I do not have one I believe. LOL..I know sounds bad but I have never been able to find an attic and other people have looked. I had a contractor in here and he said we do not need to have one I live in upstate NY. I think the insulation I have is good but I do not know for sure. I bought this house (which is 3 yrs. old) from a friend of a friend. Well without making this a long story lets just say I should of had the house inspected and not of trusted either party. My house stays really cool in the summer if that means anything. I am going to wrap my water heater with a blanket also this year. I am going to go to the town and ask for my blueprints and find out what is up with the attic. Thanks again..Jenn

Jenn

If your house is cool in the summer it probably has good insulation.

I agree with nashua---unless you have a flat roof (rare) you should have at least a partial attic.

Many times the attic access hatch is covered up during a renovation.

Study your roof from the outside and estimate where the highest peak portion intersects with your ceiling.

You can have someone cut a small exploratory hole in an inconspicious closet ceiling or hallway ceiling to access the attic.

It's important to vent the attic year round, but especially in the summer to avoid excess temperatures that could damage the shingles or roof sheathing.

This will also give you a chance to evaluate the attic insulation---attics are a great place to store things that would otherwise clutter up the living area.

You can check the exterior wall insulation by unscrewing the plastic covers off several electrical outlet receptacles to determine if you can see any insulation.

Insulation is rated as R19 for exterior walls and R40 for attics.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-04-2008 at 07:56 AM.