+ Reply to Thread

Thread: moldy caulking

Default moldy caulking

I live in iowa when i bought my house i remodeled my bath room ever since i have fought moldy caulking around the tub/shower i have a dirt crawlspace under my bathroom could that be part of my problem ?

Default Re: moldy caulking

Is your bath room power vented to the outside of the house?

no the only ventalation i have is a small window

remodeled bathroom how? re-tiled? did you seal grout? reseal it? did you use tub and bath caulk that indicated on the label it had mildew inhibitors? how long ago did you install it? where is this caulk? did you install a new tub or shower pan or what?

it is usual to have to remove and replace tub/shower bathroom caulk from time to time. if you install it in on less then dry and less then clean areas you can have problems. if there was silicone caulk before you might not have gotten a good caulk seal to whatever you caulked in the first place so water, and scum could be getting in behind it and being held there to feed mold or mildew along with soap, skin flakes, dirt. you also have to keep the area clean and free of soap scum, dirt etc. by cleaning the area regularly.

if water or moisture is getting behind the caulk or wall or trapped there it could be blooming your caulk up.

about the dirt crawl, yeah if you have exposed dirt in the crawlspace and moisture it could be wicking up into the wall cavities and through the floor under the tub.

you might want to check out improving the crawl space moisture situation and covering the exposed dirt with plastic and stones and such.

but it could also be a leak from your tub drain, the overflow, the walls to tub junction, or the wall corners or even grout between the tiles or where the spout or shower arm are behind the walls letting water in under the tub, or behind the walls making things wet and moldy or mildew and it is pushing up or down to the caulk - who knows from here - you might check things out from there. see what you can find from the crawlspace and poke around looking for leaks or moisture mabe.

could just be that you need to remove old caulk, clean up good, dry it out and recaulk with mildew inhibiting bath and tub caulk not silicone caulk.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 10-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.