+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furnace size

Red face furnace size

hello, i live in chicago and am trying to figure out what size furnace i need? i have a newly remodeled 1200 sq ft raised ranch, with 3 bedrooms. brand new windows doors and insulated exterior wall. what size btu furnace would work? and what is the difference between 1 stage and two stage furnace. i have had three different heating and air guys give me three different size furnace.1.75000 btu heil 2. 90000 btu heil 3.115000 btu goodman can you help thanks. im told that the goodman is not a good name brand, any truth to that? please help..
    Last edited by hittmann; 10-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Default Re: furnace size

Quote Originally Posted by hittmann View Post
    hello, i live in chicago and am trying to figure out what size furnace i need? i have a newly remodeled 1200 sq ft raised ranch, with 3 bedrooms. brand new windows doors and insulated exterior wall. what size btu furnace would work? and what is the difference between 1 stage and two stage furnace. i have had three different heating and air guys give me three different size furnace. really 1.75000 btu heil 2. 90000 btu heil 3.115000 btu goodman can you help thanks. im told that the goodman is not a good name brand, any truth to that? please help..
    I can't help you with BTU because I'm still not clear on selecting correct BTU but I do have Goodman A/C & heating unit.
    I don't have any issue with Goodman brand. My four neighbors do have Goodman A/C & Heating unit. They really don't have any issue with it also.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

thanks for the heads up on the goodman brand big walt i appreciate it.

hittmann:

Heil is a good unit---I also like Carrier/Bryant, Trane, American Std, Rheem, York, Thermopride, Weil-Mclain.

I've heard of a lot of problems with Goodman equipment, it's not considered the same quality as the others mentioned.

Properly done sizing takes several hours to do, don't forget to include any heated utility rooms, basements, etc. in your calculation---1200 s.f. seems like a low figure for a 3-bedroom.

What's the btu output of your present unit???

You might be able to get away with a 50k to 60k unit---variable 1 stage/2 stage is mostly for comfort, good idea, but they raise the cost up.

A free hlc is below---the tech should also do one---get at least 6 estimates, there's a wide swing in the dollar quotes and brands of equipment.

I assume you're talking gas furnace (forced hot air), and not a boiler (forced hot water).

Google "energy star" "gas furnace product list" and Google "energy star" "furnaces products list" and Google "energy star" "oil furnace products list" to get pdf lists of quality furnaces, model #'s and AFUE numbers.

http://www.slantfin.com/heat-loss-software.html
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 10-03-2008 at 08:30 AM.

I agree with NashuTech in that a Manual J heat load calculation should be done.

Something is not right based on the discrepancy of sizes.
    While nobody can say over the internet what size you need I would have to question the 90k and 115k btu units.

If the existing furnace was sufficiently sized the new unit should be of equal or lower output.

Besides ..... your existing duct work most likely can not handle the volume of air required for a larger furnace.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

hello everyone, i appreciate all the feed back. by the way the btu's on the old furnace is 120,000. i ended up going with a 100,000 btu single stage furnace by heil with a 92% efficency. i think i made the right choice with the unit and i love it so far. the tech explain to me that if i had updated duct work, i could run a lower btu furnace, but since i had orginal duct work (1958) i had to meet the demand of flow to push the air through the duct work. plus i couldnt beat the price $2300 that got me the 100,000 btu heil furnace,thermosat,built in dehumidifier, and the 3 ton a coil, for the future set up of the a/c. also he was $600 under everbody else, and did a fantastic job. no complaints. warranty on furnace was, lifetime on heat exchanger, 5 years parts and labor, and 1 yr cleaning maintaince. thanks again for all your input learned alot and see you around. hittmann

that was a great price for that i would have went with a 75000 though