+ Reply to Thread

Post Insulating above finish attic

I have a 1930's colonial in Ohio with a finished walk up attic.(Knee walls and sloped ceiling plaster lathe. My roof is slate and I have no ridge vent.)

There is no insulation above the ceiling between the roof rafters in this space. I have used fiberglss batt insulation on the knee walls in the unfinished space.

My question is can I use a foam board such as Dws Tuff-R in the rafter space above the sloped ceilings. If have a true 4 inch space here that I would like to try to fill with 3" of the Polyiso board to get an R value around R19. I do not have any ridge vents because I have a slate roof not asphalt.

Can I use this product this way, or is the heat of the attic too much for this product.

What are some other options to achieve this high of an R-value in such a small area.

Thanks

Default Re: Insulating above finish attic

Can I use this product this way, or is the heat of the attic too much for this product.
    While I'm not familar with that particular brand ..... rigid foam will be perfectly fine within the heat of the attic

As for options ....... fiberglass or rock wool batts .... rigid foam .... spray foam .... blown in cellulose or fiberglass .... the list goes on.....

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush