+ Reply to Thread

Default New Boiler Options

I live in southeast PA and have a 25 year old oil fired, steam boiler running at 70% +/-. We are now considering changing the oil/steam boiler to gas/water system. I know some repairs and some modifications to the piping/radiators will be required, but I am hoping someone might have some helpful input. One contractor said the cost to change would not be worth it and to to go with a new 86% Burnham Megasteam boiler. Another contractor said the gas/water Peerles pinnacle boiler @ 95% would save 30% on our heating bills right away. Looking for additional unbiased information....

Default Re: New Boiler Options

Quote Originally Posted by mskillman1 View Post
    I live in southeast PA and have a 25 year old oil fired, steam boiler running at 70% +/-. We are now considering changing the oil/steam boiler to gas/water system. I know some repairs and some modifications to the piping/radiators will be required, but I am hoping someone might have some helpful input.
    Quote Originally Posted by mskillman1 View Post
    One contractor said the cost to change would not be worth it and to to go with a new 86% Burnham Megasteam boiler.

Maybe he is correct.
    It all depends on your existing heating system .Some older homes will accommodates all new heating system inside, others don't due to lack of space, structures in a way, etc..etc..
    It doesn't make sense to buy best heating unit in the world if your existing ducts, plumbing, radiators and others are 25 yrs old or it cannot be updated to newer system due to exiting structure design...blah...blah..

Another contractor said the gas/water Peerles pinnacle boiler @ 95% would save 30% on our heating bills right away. Looking for additional unbiased information....

30% savings right away.....Hmmmmm, that is kinda far fetch.
    Maybe, 30%savings in 1 year or more.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Default Re: New Boiler Options

msKillman1:

The first thing you have to do is get at least six solid quotes on what it would cost to convert from steam to hot water.

As Walt mentioned, the configuration of the house would have a bearing on the installation costs.

Most steam rads are not amenable to be converted to hw--the exception are two-pipe steam rads as opposed to one-pipe steam rads.

Often the alternative is to rip everything out and install hot water baseboard strips along the inside exterior walls.

The quote for the gas/water Peerless Pinnacle is on the right track---an excellent boiler, but just about ANY hw boiler will give you a 30% drop in fuel usage.

There are basically 3 levels of hw boilers---the condensing (stainless steel)(highest price), the 3-pass cast iron, and the pin-type cast iron.

Any one of these will do the job very well, and it will cost lots less to buy a pin-type by Burnham, Crown, Dunkirk, New Yorker, Peerless, Slant/Fin, Smith or Utica---all good boilers for approx. $1500- $3000.

Add to this the major part of the cost, which is the labor of installing the baseboard throughout the house.

Hot water heat is much less bother than steam, very quiet, even heat---can be expanded in the future if needed.

Review the previous posts by others to get a background on hw boilers.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=3820
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=1639
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5571
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5085
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 10-03-2008 at 09:29 AM.