+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with Soft Soil !!

I recently tilled up my yard and planted new seed (area was bare from recent addition to the house). I tilled the top six inches, added peat moss, sand, fertilizer and the seed. I did not compact the area with a roller or compactor because I read that compacting would restrict the growth of the grass and not allow for proper drainage. The grass came up real nice, but i have one area (approx. 5'x5') that is REAL soft. So soft that you can not even walk on it without sinking in mud up to you ankle. Will this area harden over time as the grass grows and I water less or do i have to take a more drastic step and add soil amendments? Thank you.

Default Re: Help with Soft Soil !!

***, that's strange. I wonder if you have a hole from the construction. I doubt that any grass will fill in the softness. I would probe the area and see how far down the softness goes.If it's just a few inches, adding more topsoil will stiffen it, then you can re-seed on top of it, to level the lawn. But you may find that a hole was dug and "fill" (broken rocks, debris, etc) was dumped in it. Sounds like you need to do a bit of detective work before you can solve the problem.