+ Reply to Thread

Default What type of grass?

We are getting ready to seed the yard around our new house. I'm boxblading then tilling to rough up the soil and get out the bigger weeds and crappy grass before I put down the seed.

A neighbor, who is a landscaper, suggests we use a mix of 80% Kentucky bluegrass and 20% rye.

We live in West Lafayette, IN and the grass will be in full sun for most of the day. The soil is typical central Indiana - lots of clay, but if you rough it up first it breaks up well.

It's a large enough area that we will likely not water ourselves even when it gets dry during the summer. Other than mowing it, it won't get much traffic.

Is this a good mix to use here?

Default Re: What type of grass?

From what I've heard Kentucky bluegrass needs a lot of water & maintenance.
    In Md. where I am tall turf type fescues are recommended.
    There is a grass seed by Jonathan Green called Black Beauty that is dark green, fairly fine textured and drought resistant. It needs full sun or very little shade. It eventually grows deep roots. One drawback I've seen is that it's a slow terminator when the weather gets cooler. I've been happy with it in my lawn.

that's the sort of advice I was hoping to get. I'm not on a small suburban lawn where I can easily run sprinklers and cover the lawn. Deep roots sound good - I'm assuming that all fescues share this trait?

I think Black Beauty is a bit unique with the deeper roots. Their are many types of fescues.
    Try a real garden center, not a box store, for local advice to what works best where you are.
    Jonathan Green is a good company no matter which seed the grow.