+ Reply to Thread

Default Can't find Air Filter - help!

I've got a 3-year old home with central air. A Janitrol air handler unit in the basement, compressor/fan outside. We've been seeing a lot of dust in the house and thought I should look at the air filter. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find an air filter anywhere on the unit. It's not down where the return enters the unit. I've taken a number of panels off and looked at the product literature and can't find anything. Is it possible that my entire AC system was installed without a filter? And, if that's the case, what are my options for installing one? I have only two return registers that are easily accessible. It seems I could install filters on them, but am not really sure what type of hardware I would need. Any search I do ****** for air filters just brings me to someone selling replacement filters. I haven't seem anything showing how to install the filter brackets or holders inside my return registers. Any help greatly appreciated. We've got a newborn in the house, and I'd love to make sure the air is a clean as possible. Thanks!

Default Re: Can't find Air Filter - help!

You can purchase return air grills that are designed to hold the filter. If you have any returns near the floor I'd definitely install one there. Other than that, each furnace is a bit different, so I can't offer a place to look. In my experience, the filters have been next to the fan, so if you can see the squirrel cage fan, then the filters will slip in along side there.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Can't find Air Filter - help!

thanks! it looks like i'll have to install two return filter grilles in my returns - definitely no filter in the air handler.