+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frozen Vent

Default Frozen Vent

having a real problem with the sewer vents on the roof freezing over.The problem is especially bad if the weather warms up to -10c and then gets cold outside.The stacks are 3" and after about 4 hrs of wind while cooling off the vents completely frost over ..

Any suggestions or help welcome

thanks Lloyd

Default Re: Frozen Vent

Quote Originally Posted by unit99 View Post
    having a real problem with the sewer vents on the roof freezing over.The problem is especially bad if the weather warms up to -10c and then gets cold outside.The stacks are 3" and after about 4 hrs of wind while cooling off the vents completely frost over ..

thanks Lloyd
    I think you should discuss this with a plumber. Usually the DWV stacks are increased to a minimum 4" several feet within the structure and before they penetrate the roof. You may need to increase the size two trade sizes. This is usually done a few feet within the envelope and the vent may need to be extended above the roof penetration a bit depending on where in the world you are and your roof pitch, how high the one is presently and the rest of the mechanics of your plumbing system and your structure design.

You dont say what material you have for your plumbing stack vent or vents. PVC, ABS, cast iron, copper or steel either.

Quote Originally Posted by unit99 View Post

thanks Lloyd
    Lloyd , I recalled there was a previous thread about this subject. I used the search function and found it for you.
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showt...vent#post12523

Hi Lloyd,

There is only one certified product that we know of. My company invented it. Arcticvent - it is certified for use in Canada and the USA. www.heatline.com

Lorne