+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Moss on garage roof

dj1 is correct that bleach will kill moss, just as clorine controls green algae growth in swimming pools.

If the roof accumulation is such that it is a visible , usually along the lower edge of the shingles, it is best to physically remove it first. I have spent a couple hours up on my roof scaping the stuff off, then using my garden blower to blow it off the roof.

To keep it from returning, there are a couple solutions, both by the use of zinc. Powder containing zinc is available at homeowner stores under the name Moss Out. This is shaken up along the ridge line of the roof. During rain, the zinc leeches down the roof and kills moss. There are also strips of zinc which can be mounted along the ridge line, also leeching zinc down the roof. You do have to be a little careful as to where the run off goes, as zinc can also kill other green vegetation.

Here in Portland, Oregon, moss could be named the State Plant

Hey All,

Using straight bleach is not recommended and scrapping you should avoid at all costs.

Go to a pool supply center and buy 5 gallons of Chlorine (SH) and go to home depot and buy Original Sent Gain (bright green bottle) detergent and a bleach approved pump sprayer.

In a 5 Gallon bucket mix 1.5 gallons Chlorine with 3.5 Gallons of water and 16oz of Gain.

Pour this into the sprayer and soak the roof. When I say soak I mean Soak! Everything will start to turn white and die off.

Let this dry and reapply in 2 - 4 weeks.

once everything is dead it will start to flake away.

At this point use a garden hose with spray tip to remove any moss.
    Tyler Saunders
    Owner - A Cleaner Choice, LLC
    ACleanerChoice.com
    NYCleanRoof.com
    845-249-9474

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if anyone needs to know further details.
    Tyler Saunders
    Owner - A Cleaner Choice, LLC
    ACleanerChoice.com
    NYCleanRoof.com
    845-249-9474