+ Reply to Thread

Default Leak on floor joist

I have a home built in 1920 and I just discovered a leak coming from my bath/shower down on to an exposed joist in the basement. I havent noticed it because I never usually run down into the basement after showering.

The leak seems to have effected about 10 inches of the top of the floor joist running down about two inches from the sub floor. After fixing the leak and stopping the water, is it acceptable to chisel out the rotted section, (only about 1/2 into the meat of the joist) and use wood filler to patch it up.

WOuld i need to sister new joists as well or will the wood filler suffice seeing how the rot is not going all the way through the joist. This proble is about 3 feet from where the joist meets the sill plate

Default Re: Leak on floor joist

is it acceptable to chisel out the rotted section, (only about 1/2 into the meat of the joist) and use wood filler to patch it up.

WOuld i need to sister new joists as well or will the wood filler suffice seeing how the rot is not going all the way through the joist.
    Wood filler won't have any advantage as far as structural integrety added to the joist.

Chisling out the area affected wouldn't be something I would recommend doing. Doing this could actually make matters worse considering the size of the area .

The affected area can remain as long as it dries out which it should do after the leak is properly repaired.

Then you have a couple of options :

1 - sister a new joist the entire length from the sill to the main carry beam.
    Though there may be obstructions like plumbing or wiring running through this joist.

2 - attach a shorter mending piece say an 8 foot length starting on the sill.

Either way ensure it's the same depth as the orginal joist .... example ... if the original joist is a 2x8 then use a 2x8.

Whichever method .....

Buy some construction adhesive ..... apply the ahesive to the existing joist ..... attach the new piece with 3 inch nails or screws .

Install the 3 fasteners vertically forming a column with each column of fasteners spaced at 12 inches the entire length. This is overkill .... but then I like to go the extra mile and there will be no issues.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush