+ Reply to Thread

Default Dull& Worn floors after 5 years !

I refinished my oak hardwood floors about 5 years ago. I used Minwax Clear Polyurethane and I know I wont be using it again. After just 5 years, no pets, no kids, the finish is dull and already worn down in several areas. I had 3 coats on there and they looked great for about the 1st 3 years. Now they need to be re-done again already ! My question is.... do I have to re-sand down to bare wood or can I just go on top of the current finish with 2 coats of a better polyurethane ?

Default Re: Dull& Worn floors after 5 years !

Welcome to the world of Minwax polys. I'm surprised that you were able to get a decent finish to begin with, my experience with Minwax is less than stellar.

You might be able to go over the top of the Minwax with a different product, but before you start broad application, do a test in a small, inconspicuous area to make sure there are no compatibility issues. The best bet would be to sand off the existing finish and start from scratch. Oil based polys are generally better for floors because they're harder and more durable. I cannot recommend a particular product for you, I'm not familiar with floor polys.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would recommend sanding the finish off if the Minwax you used was a water based poly, or a light sanding if the Minwax you used was oil based. I recommend OldMasters brand oil based poly. It has excellent self leveling characteristics and dries to a very hard finish. I recommend 3 coats. Our kitchen floor was refinished about 15 years ago and still looks great.

If you wish to use a water based finish OldMasters also makes a water based poly but I have never used it. With a water based finish you should be able to just lightly sand the floor and apply new coats.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I do believe it was an oil based I used. I will do a test area with some Verathane Polyurethane and see what happens. I just had a though .......

I got tired of having a cheap small stick vac and last year I bought a Bissel Upright Vac. You know, the type that has the bristle roller under it. I keep it on "bare floor" setting. Do you think its possible the brush on them type of vacs are to rought for hardwood floor finishes ?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    I got tired of having a cheap small stick vac and last year I bought a Bissel Upright Vac. You know, the type that has the bristle roller under it. I keep it on "bare floor" setting. Do you think its possible the brush on them type of vacs are to rought for hardwood floor finishes ?
    ABSOLUTELY!

I review vacuums and those with an active brush roll are not good for bare floors or delicate surfaces, no matter what manufacturers may tell you. Even if your floor is tough enough to withstand the beating from the brush, the spinning brush roll tends to spit chunks and particles of debris out from under the floor head rather than pick them up. The best vacuum for bare floors is a canister with a floor brush. In lieu of that, a compact sweeper with either the ability to turn off the brush roll OR no brush roll at all. The Shark Navigator is by far the best compact vacuum that I've tested to date. It is highly praised by consumers as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!