+ Reply to Thread

Angry Moen Single Handle Hex Stripped

Hi, all:

I have a single handle Moen shower. I need to get the handle off, but the hex was stripped by the original installer!

How do I go about getting the hex out so I can replace/check out the rest of the unit?

Any suggestions short of a sledge hammer would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Default Re: Moen Single Handle Hex Stripped

Can you post a pic or a model so that we can see exactly what you're referring too?

If it's an outer hex, you can probably grab it with vice grips, water pump pliers (channel locks ), or a pipe wrench. If it's an inner hex, then things become more difficult. Using something just short of a sledgehammer, you can use a metal working chisel and the hammer to bite and rotate it from the side.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think the screw you're talking about has an Allen head. Brass is very soft and these strip out pretty easily. Take a look at his set... Craftsman 10 pc. Drill Out, Micro Drill Out and Screw Out Set #52158
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools
    I use these all the time for all kinds of stripped or broken screw heads and it will be the best 70 bucks you'll ever spend.

Left hand drill bits will some times work http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html

because it is used in the reverse direction they will often spin the old screw out.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I've attached a photo of the handle. It's a one handle pull on/push off and turn for hot/cold type.

Unfortunately it's an inner hex and the hole that exposes the hex is so small I can't get anything into it to try to put some additional pressure on the set screw to get it out. I've tried various size hex, square and star drivers and can't get anything to bite.

Do you know if the "tap out" systems have extremely small diameters? The opening is probably a 1/16" at best -- too small to have any wiggle room to work another tool into it.

What sort of trouble am I in if I try to manually pull the handle straight off the post using brute force? By handle, I mean the actual handle you grab as well as the ball attachment being held by the set hex screw? Would I be opening up a can of worms I don't want to deal with?

By the way, the whole handle mechanism is metal, so cracking it off doesn't seem to be an option as it would with one of those fake chrome plastic jobbies. And the handle you grab simply screws off the covering cap, so there is no pop-out cover with screw underneath to get the rest of the unit off.

Anyone in the Greater Portland Maine area want to earn a 12 pack of fine American Ale (or for your uppity types, a 6 pack of some imported swill)?

Thanks,

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moen Handle.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	1655  

Quote Originally Posted by TRLambert View Post
    What sort of trouble am I in if I try to manually pull the handle straight off the post using brute force?
    DON'T!!!

You'll end up breaking the valve and that won't be pretty. Since you're not worried about saving the handle, you could use a dremel or die grinder and cut the handle on either side of the set screw.

It would seem odd that the set screw hole/wrench is only 1/16". Faucets I'm familiar with use at least a 1/8" or 3/16" wrench. At any rate, what is the quality of your wrench? If the shoulders are worn or rounded, grind the tip back until you've got a fresh hex driver and try it on the set screw again. You'd be surprised what a "fresh" wrench can accomplish.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just cut the stem off. You can get a carbide cable saw easily. Just turn off the water.
    Pull out the handle.
    Loop the saw behind the handle and saw off the shaft.

Its not that hard and you may be able to save the handle and just replace the set screw.

Just make sure you saw of the little shaft and not the big shaft. The big one is the valve body. Saw it is no good.

Cool Re: Moen Single Handle Hex Stripped

Before you go to the trouble of trying to cut off the stem of the cartridge, try using a T-25 Torx screwdriver to remove the screw. If your faucet is around 10-years old though, you may have another problem. As was stated before, the handle adapter behind the handle is metal and it is quite likely that the adapter has fused inside of the handle.

If the Torx screwdriver won't remove the Allen screw it might be time to give Moen a call. If your faucet is under warranty they can provide you the necessary parts to fix the faucet so that you can have them prior to doing any major operations on the faucet!

There is old school trick.
    Buy valve grinding compound. It is available at any local auto parts store.
    It is gritty, greyish paste and it doesn't get hard like silicone or epoxy. It has unlimited shelf life.

Apply compund to the head of screw, use correct size allen wrench, then put steady pressure on wrench and screw at same time. It'll come loose.

Anybody can do the same thing to stripped phillip head screws.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.