+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Alternative Heat Source....Suggestions

As many of you are aware, heating oil price$$$ are outrageous. I am looking for an alternative source of heat that I can use part time instead of burning expensive oil. The problem I have is there's no place for me to vent the exhaust from an pellet stove. Are there any kind of wood burning stoves, etc that do not require an exhaust?

Default Re: Need Alternative Heat Source....Suggestions

For what you're going to spend on an alternative heating source you can buy a lot of heating oil for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lthomps222 View Post
    Are there any kind of wood burning stoves, etc that do not require an exhaust?
    Unfortunately any combustion device needs an exhaust.
    The new high efficient catalytic wood stoves still need a flue or exhaust of some sort.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Do you know that pellet stoves can be vented through a sidewall? They don't need a vertical flue like a wood stove.

I heat with natural gas but gas and electric are both going up for me so Iíve looked for ways to save and Iím looking at replacing my worthless gas fireplace with super efficient model.

I have also changed my winter life style to be able to close the main part of my home off from my study with French doors ( Read old time parlor with fireplace.). I can keep the study at a comfortable temp with supplemental electric heat for the evening hours and only ramp the main heat up for a short time in the morning to get ready to leave the home.

If I had a family that lived at home all day? I guess Iíd get a second job to pay for the oil and wear sweaters and ski pants.

Sorry, but I am not very positive about what is going on right now in the good old USA.

I'm thinking of switching back to incandescant lights for the winter .... might as well get some heat while using the lights.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I'm thinking of switching back to incandescant lights for the winter .... might as well get some heat while using the lights.
    You can make a joke but be ready.

Kent I wasn't joking .
    - Rush

I guess that is one positive about living in florida is the heat bill. the ac bill on the other hand is altogether different. give me an alternative for that big ac unit outside

Yep .... that's the thing .... it's far easier to get warmer but very difficult to get cool.

Throw on a jacket or wear some slippers .... you can only go so far to remove clothes to get cool.
    - Rush