+ Reply to Thread

Default pluming in basement

I am adding a bathroom in my basement, have ext plumbing, wondering, how to find out which pipes are what.

Default Re: pluming in basement

have ext plumbing,
    Not sure what you are meaning here.

If you have existing rough-in plumbing protruding out of the concrete floor then the larger pipe ( likely 3 inch ) would be for the toilet and the smaller ( 2 or 1 1/2 inch ) would be for the tub or shower.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ok , I understand that part , and thankyou. What i have is a bath that had a tolet, and sink. i have got to move the tolet and run lines for the sink and the shower. Can I break up cement and cut the tolet line, 90 upwards with that line. installing a stack to tie the new tolet,sink,shower into. and run outside for air vent, is this the proper way to do this. ? And there is a 4 inch and a 1 1/2 line in the middle of the floor that was not being used, I was wondering if i can put new flooring over these, that is why i was trying to fig out the lines.

If you can't actually see the drains you can trace them electronically or you may camera/locate the line. And, yes you can do what you are saying but it is not right and shouldn't pass inspection. But it will "work". To be approved you need to tie in the new work, per my plumbing code, 10 feet from the toilet if it is flat vented or you can cut into the drain riser below the comode vent or in the horizontal wherever you can fit it and provide fixture vents accordingly as typical plumbing underground rough in or rough top out as your situation dictates.

or you can call a plumber.