+ Reply to Thread

Default Rain Dampened Plaster

A sudden rain storm came up in the midst of shingling our 100 old house. A combination of moisture leaking through the exposed roof and construction trauma has dampened and in spots loosened large areas of plaster in the rooms below. Will damp plaster dry out sufficiently to be viable or does everything have to be torn down? I see there is lots of help on this site about patching plaster, our main concern now is will it dry and still be intact enough to work with. I thank anyone who has had similar issues in advance for their time in responding to my plea!

Default Re: Rain Dampened Plaster

IMO you can almost use plaster walls for a swimming pool wall. Damage to the lath or broken keys during construction is generally why plaster comes down.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

OK, that is VERY encouraging! Someone told me a product called gypsolite (sp)? is what is needed to patch the broken areas. The good part of all this is that the moisture has loosened umpteen layers of paint and wallpaper making them easy to sc**** off. Our plan seems to be then that we'll get down to the bare plaster surface and get the fans going, windows open. Thank you for your message!

For the plaster that has lost its keying effect from the lathe board you can use plaster washers so secure the loose plaster back to the lathe board. I am sure that once you peel off the layers of wall paper you will find that some of the plaster will be loose from the walls.

I would guess you to be right. I remember reading about plaster repair (probably in TOH magazine) and they used a washer to re-attach the loose areas tightly to the lathe. We will be honing a new skill set! Thank you.