+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy how can you raise a low ceiling

I just purchased a small house 500sq and it has real low ceiling in the living room/kitchen, about 6 ft 3 inchs. it is all under the same roof line, I am on a very tight budget, about 5 grand is there any way to raise the ceiling or do I just make short friends. if anyone knows of a way.... please answer.
    Thanks

Default Re: how can you raise a low ceiling

Do you have to step up into this area ?

What's above these 2 rooms?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Are there other rooms with higher ceilings or lower floors? Are the ceilings suspended ceilings (metal grids with tiles)?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Will definitely need more info. Do you have a flat roof or a gabled roof? Can you post pic of the house, interior and exterior?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

All, yes you have to step up at least 3 feet. there is a celler that runs under it. The "house" was built in 1940, may have started off as one room. that room has a pitch roof and then another roof line comes into into it. total "attic" look to be about 3 or 4 feet. ok, I have uploaded a really bad drawing of the roof line, mind you this is not a perspective view. is that called a hitched roof? anyone that can be of help, thank you, also it is kind of an L shaped "house" with the bathroom and the bedroom being under another roof line, those are not too bad, higher than 6-3 maybe 6-6. Thank goodness I am short
    and I wish it had a supended ceiling, nope it is sheet rock and joist as far as I know
    Willi

ps my picture was to large to post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mean_willi; 09-29-2008 at 09:32 PM.

The sketch is ..... ummmm ... nice but .... doesn't help a whole lot.

You can use a file host like photobucket to post larger file sized pictures.

It's sounding like you should have a contractor come out and see first hand what can be done..... sounds a bit of a hodge pot.

For what it's worth.
    - Rush

Great idea, please do not laugh at it, it is paid for and I do not have the funds nor do I want to get into hock to build a new house, trying to do a smiple semi retired thing.
    http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/mean_willi/
    Last edited by mean_willi; 09-29-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Geez .... with a name like mean willi no way i would laugh.

it's pretty hard to tell from here what's going on with how things are framed to cause issues with ceiling height .... let alone to make suggestions.

It really would be best to have somone come out there to see first hand.
    - Rush

Yes it is very hard to tell from the pics. The one suggestion that might fall in with your budget would be to remove the roof and install a new truss system that lifts the ceiling. Not sure if $5K will handle the whole job unless you do most of the work yourself. Removing the roof and building up the walls may be another option. I would suggest you contact a local contractor for some ideas and a quote.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Have to say it's a very unusual situation there.

Assuming the entrance door is 80 inches that would mean the ceiling joists are right on top of the door .... what's there for a header ???

BTW .... mean willi .... you might clean out the gutters in the meantime.
    - Rush