+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabinets

Default Cabinets

We are building new kitchen cabinets. What would be nicer - white paint on the inside of the cabinets or stained and varnished the same as the outside. And what is best water or oil based varnishes.

Default Re: Cabinets

Most quality built cabinets will use a birch plywood that has a clear finish on it. Then the face frames and doors are made out of whatever wood you like. I am in the process of building my own as well. I have actually built and hung all of the cabinet boxes with the face frames. Just have to finish building the doors. I would strongly recommend building the entire cabinet box (also known as a carcass) out of 3/4" plywood. This includes the back. This is a little more expensive but makes a super strong cabinet and you don't need hanging rails as you would w/ a 1/4" back. With the 3/4" back you can put screws in anywhere to hang the cabinets.

Sorry that I got a little away from your original question. As for finishing as I said I prefer the clear finish. You can however make the cases out of a plywood that has the same type of wood veneer as you are using for your face frames and doors. You can stain and poly to match. In my opinion I don't like the look of painted wood but you certainly could do that.

As far as water based vs. oil based poly? The water based is much easier to work with since the clean up is easy and you can usually sand and re-apply within 2 hours. It also does not have the odor of oil based. The oil based might be slightly tougher but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Hope this helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by sabo4545 View Post
    Most quality built cabinets will use a birch plywood that has a clear finish on it. Then the face frames and doors are made out of whatever wood you like. I am in the process of building my own as well. I have actually built and hung all of the cabinet boxes with the face frames. Just have to finish building the doors. I would strongly recommend building the entire cabinet box (also known as a carcass) out of 3/4" plywood. This includes the back. This is a little more expensive but makes a super strong cabinet and you don't need hanging rails as you would w/ a 1/4" back. With the 3/4" back you can put screws in anywhere to hang the cabinets.

Sorry that I got a little away from your original question. As for finishing as I said I prefer the clear finish. You can however make the cases out of a plywood that has the same type of wood veneer as you are using for your face frames and doors. You can stain and poly to match. In my opinion I don't like the look of painted wood but you certainly could do that.

As far as water based vs. oil based poly? The water based is much easier to work with since the clean up is easy and you can usually sand and re-apply within 2 hours. It also does not have the odor of oil based. The oil based might be slightly tougher but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Hope this helps you out.
    every one has things that they have strong feelings about. to me there is a big difference between strong and over built. 3/4 for the sides and backs would fall into that catagory to me. Most all cabinet shops that build their own cabinets use 1/2 plywood and never have a problem of any kind. going with 3/4 adds additional weight to an already heavy wall cabinet putting extra stress on fasteners. (as well as the cabinet installer) as well as extra cost is always a factor. I totally agree on not using 1/4 inch on the backs.

I agree to disagree with you Havana. I've always build things overkill but you are right they are considerably heavier. Just put in a few more screws. Haven't had any problems to date.

Quote Originally Posted by sabo4545 View Post
    I agree to disagree with you Havana. I've always build things overkill but you are right they are considerably heavier. Just put in a few more screws. Haven't had any problems to date.
    I hope you understand I meant absolutly no disrespect. I'm often also accused of overkill. My main thought was actually concerning home owner budget, money saved in one area can then be redirected to other areas. extra money not spent on cabinets can be used for an upgrade on countertops. my personal feelings if one will do a more then satisfactory job, why pay for even more if its something that won't even be seen.

I know you meant no disrespect. Just my opinion as to the way I like to do it. There are of course other ways of doing things that can be just as good.

Buy RTA cabinet or stock cabinets, cheaper and hassle-free.

I know one seller that offer good quality

www.kitchenextra.com