+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Soundproofing basement ceiling

I live in an 80 year old house with finished basement apartment. We would like to improve the soundproofing for future renters. The ceiling already has the electrical and drywall done. What is the most effective method for soundproofing the ceiling without lowering the ceiling height? We have been looking into mass loaded vinyl in combination with soundproofing insulation. We are open to removing the existing drywall/electrical and then putting it back up when the insulation is completed.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Soundproofing basement ceiling

some of the biggest helps is to use UNFACED insulation. (the paper on insulation can actually act as a speaker) then before rehanging your drywall install resilient channel which will absorb a lot of sound coming through. resilient channel has been used in commercial construction for many years successfully. Here is a link to show what it looks like. you should be able to find it at a local drywall supply house.
    http://www.jm.com/insulation/faqs/996.htm

I wouldn't spec resilient channel ever. The fact is there is no single standard for its construction. Some is 20 gauge, some 25, some in between. Some are slotted for flex, some are solid, some have holes.

Again, there isn't a standard for strength or flexibility. Drywall Furring Channel, on the other hand, is specified by the Steel Stud Manufacturers Association, along with all other steel framing components.

This method of decoupling is effective if the steel can act like a spring. Since there's no manufacturing standard, the net result is that you have no idea if the resilient channel is too stiff (no spring) or too loose (no spring).

Much better to use resilient sound clips and Drywall Furring Channel.

Also, paper faced or unfaced insulation will perform the same.
    Last edited by Ted White; 03-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.

ted sorry but you are incorrect. check the usg hand book as well as it is spec. in the ul hand book for fire rated ceilings.

http://www.awc.org/Publications/dca/dca3/DCA3.pdf
    http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

http://www.worthingtonibs.com/resour...20Assembly.pdf
    Last edited by havanagranite; 03-23-2010 at 03:09 PM.

What point are you disputing?

Howdy consider having rock wool batts installed as they are not only great fire resistant insulatinon but sound proofing too.

To the OP, TorontoHouse: is footfall noise an issue? This is known as impact noise, and a more thorough sound isolation system is required to control this type of noise.

If the problem is purely airborne noise (Stereo, TV, etc) then the problem is easier to manage and contain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
    I wouldn't spec resilient channel ever. The fact is there is no single standard for its construction. Some is 20 gauge, some 25, some in between. Some are slotted for flex, some are solid, some have holes.

Again, there isn't a standard for strength or flexibility. Drywall Furring Channel, on the other hand, is specified by the Steel Stud Manufacturers Association, along with all other steel framing components.

This method of decoupling is effective if the steel can act like a spring. Since there's no manufacturing standard, the net result is that you have no idea if the resilient channel is too stiff (no spring) or too loose (no spring).

Much better to use resilient sound clips and Drywall Furring Channel.

Also, paper faced or unfaced insulation will perform the same.
    The idea of decoupling is to minimize the surface area of mechanical fastening to reduce resonace and sound transmission.

The paper backing of faced insulation will resonate --- therefore unfaced insulation is more effective at dampening sound.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I'm a bit familiar with the function and performance of various decoupling techniques. Competent decoupling can be invaluable. My point was that resilient channel isn't competent for the reasons I already described.

Regarding the paper resonating, this is an urban legend. I've been involved in the testing Transmission Loss of several hundred wall and ceiling assemblies over the years in NVLAP certified acoustic labs. There is not paper resonance within a sealed partition cavity. This isn't a concern at all.

Further, the NRC in Canada (finest acoustic lab in North America) has studied the nuances of elements like insulation and have themselves concluded that paper facing does not constitute a measurable difference.

If anyone has any hard data to the contrary, I'd be very interested to review it.

I'm quite familar with the NRC.

As for faced insulation ---- a simple test --- tap the paper backing with a finger --- it produces a sound --- therefore it has to resonate whenever a force is applied .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush