+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default General Household Odor

We built a modular house, with a full unfinished basement, in Western MA in 2005. The house has been developing an odor throughout the upstairs and also in the basement. On the advice of the modular company we sealed and painted the concrete walls and floors in the basement and that has done nothing to eliminate or ameliorate the odor. We installed dehumidifiers and air purifiers, again to no avail. The smell appears most prevalent upstairs when either air conditioning or heat comes through the floor vents (the smell almost seems to travel up through the ducts), but at other times as well. Any ideas and recommendations?

Default Re: General Household Odor

have someone come out and check your vents. or have them cleaned. sometimes during construction either debri can be left in the ducts or animals can become ent****d in the ducts causing obvious oders. I would also check my filters and wash out my air coils and vacuum out my heating coils.

Thanks for the reply. That is next on our list.

Another possibility...

Condensate tray on AC inside the furnace plenum may be growing mold/mildew....because the drain hose is plugged or crimped...or the tray is tilted away from the drain port.

thanks, ****hiller.

Hi. We too purchased a modular home (but in Rhode Island) and about a year later we started to notice an unpleasant odor. The smell varies and it comes and goes. Sometimes it's an "ashtray" like smell (altough no one has ever once smoked in the house) and other times to me it seems like a moldy smell. What company built the modular home that you have? I'm at my wits end trying to control the smell in the house, on my clothes (and as a result on me!) while also scheduling a doctors visit to see if this the reason that I am having an alergic type of a skin reaction. Please reply to racady@hotmail.com. Thank you.
    Last edited by rcady; 11-22-2008 at 10:03 PM.

PS- No one has ever smoked in the house, but there is still that tobacco like ashtray smell in the house, and we were advised that the modular home was constructed in a "smoke free" facility.

If it's something you're smelling throughout the house--especially as far away from the basement as possible--it has to be in the HVAC/duct system *somewhere*... condensation tray, something in the filter or vents are good places to start.