+ Reply to Thread

Default Choosing a Lockset

I need to buy five new locksets and three deadbolts for my home. I want decent quality without breaking my budget. Which is a better deal for the money Kwikset or Schlage? I noticed that Schlage is priced higher, but Kwikset is endorced by HUD/FMAC. I want them all keyed the same to make it easier. Two doors are used constantly and the other three occasionally. I want something that will last at least ten years or more.

Thank you

Dave

Default Re: Choosing a Lockset

To be honest, for the typical home, a Kwikset will suffice. The major difference between Schlage and Kwikset is the strength of the bolt. In a commercial application with a steel door in a steel jamb, it matters. In a residential application where the door is wood or metal/vinyl clad wood/hollow core in a wood jamb, the strength of the bolt doesn't matter because the door and jamb will let go before the bolt breaks or gives way.

Any place that sells the locks will generally offer rekey services as well, or you can take them to a locksmith.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you A. Spruce.

I went to Lowes. I will dig through the boxes to find enough locks with the same key-code to do the job. Any series Kwikset better than the other? I noticed they have package deals where the knobbed lockset comes with a deadbolt. I am wondering if it is cheaper to get five of these, and save the extra two deadbolts or get three sets and have the other two locksets rekeyed, as when I was there before they didn't have the combo sets with the same codes as the lockset only packages.

Dave

You're welcome.

Buying a handset/deadbolt combo package is a few dollars cheaper than buying the handset and deadbolt separately. Unless you intend to install the dual system at every location, I'd recommend only buying two combo packs and the three individual handsets.

Even if you match the key codes, I would recommend matching up the keys before installing the hardware just to make sure that everything is the same. You might also find it difficult to find matching codes between the combo packs and the individual units, not certain about that, but it's possible there won't be matching singles, and it will be cheaper to rekey than to buy combo packs.

Also, Kwikset locks are easy, easy, easy to rekey. All you need is a rekey kit, which will be in the same aisle as the locksets. You'll likely find that about half the pins in the existing lock will be reused for the new keys, but just to be safe you might want to purchase two or more kits, depending on how many locks a single kit can rekey.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One thing to consider with the knob lock is whether the lock unlocks when you open the door or does it remain locked like the one I recently bought & installed. Not unlocking makes it easy to lock yourself out. I don't care for it, but in my case it isn't a big deal, so I left it installed.
    I remember a topic from months back that was mentioned in the current TOH issue about a woman that got locked out and ended up with sprains and broken bones trying to climb in her house.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    One thing to consider with the knob lock is whether the lock unlocks when you open the door or does it remain locked
    That is a trait of the Schlage handsets. With Kwikset you've got the button in the middle that you twist, when it's locked both sides of the handset are locked, when it's open it's open, no worries. The only thing that should be noted is that interior deadbolts should have a thumbscrew to operate the deadbolt NOT a key. This is for safety, in an emergency you don't want to be hunting around for a key, you just want to be able to get out.

Today I found out at Home Depot that only the Kwikset Signature Series can be rekeyed with the rekey kit they sell. You can also set them up for a temp. pass key if for example you go on vacation and want to give someone a key and don't want to give out the real one.

Thank you for all the advice.

Dave