+ Reply to Thread

Default Finish coat plaster falling off

I have a 1910 craftsman home, which all of the original horsehair plaster. There is an area of the living room where the wall is cracked and at the base of the crack, the finish coat is seperating and falling off (I can see that the cracking continues through the base plaster). I intend to use Big Wally's plaster magic to reattach the plaster to the lathe, but once this area is secured, how should I patch the missing finish coat? Will joint compound work over the horsehair? Should I use plaster of paris? I appears that this spot has been patched before.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12028.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	1641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12029.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	1642  

Default Re: Finish coat plaster falling off

I would check the edges of the places where the veneer coat has come off. If those are tight (no adjacent loose stuff), then several coats of joint compound can be used to build up to the original thickness.

I personally am partial to "hot mud" (quick set joint compound) for patching like this. That way, I can do the whole system of coats in one trip. I usually top with regular joint mud, as it is easier to sand than hot mud.

But, working in your own home, you can take your time. Just don't try to fill the patch in one go. Give it several thin coats.

Default Re: Finish coat plaster falling off

Thank you, I was hoping that would work!