+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tiling a backsplash question.

We have a granite counter top in our kitchen and we want to install a tile backsplash from the counter top up to the bottom of the cabinets. When laying the first course of tile up from the counter top do we leave a grout space or do we lay the tile right on the counter top?

Default Re: Tiling a backsplash question.

Leave a space and use color matched caulk instead of grout.

I agree.....Caulk instead of Grout....there is a Caulk that looks like Grout. Also, if using porous Stone for a Backsplash, you should seal before Grouting so it doesn't stain

Hello,
    I have the same problem. I tiled my backsplash and the grout between countertop and backsplash is beginning to crack. The grout color is a special one (butter creme) from Lowe's. Is it possible to match the caulk with the grout color? Where can I buy colored caulk?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germangress View Post
    Hello,
    I have the same problem. I tiled my backsplash and the grout between countertop and backsplash is beginning to crack. The grout color is a special one (butter creme) from Lowe's. Is it possible to match the caulk with the grout color? Where can I buy colored caulk?
    Thanks
    some hardware stores (or check paint centers) can make caulk for you. what you would do is take them something that is the same color and they mix up a small container of paint then use that to mix the caulk. the only problem is this type of caulk is usually a little thinner than regular caulk so it doesn't work well for wider areas. but for your application it should work fine.

Default Tiling a backsplash question.

Always leave space between the counter & splash. This takes care of any expansion & contraction when it is caulked. You can purchase caulk in any grout color. You just need to know the grout brand, color name, color number and whether it's sanded, or unsanded (order from tile store). Always keep the left over caulk for touch-up later.
    Last edited by ladyrulz; 11-11-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: left out one note

Hello,

I bought some colored caulk at the hardware store it worked out pretty well. Thanks for the recommendation.

glad it all worked out well for you, and thanks for letting us know

I have also some pictures from our new kitchen. We just need some new light fixtures and we would like to tile the floor as well.

I just tiled my backsplash, but haven't got to the grouting yet. Then I came across this thread. It appears I goofed and didn't leave a gap between the bottom of the tiles and the top of the countertop. Anyone have experience doing this that didn't result in later issues? I understand the expansion concern, but I wonder how much the counters or cabinets will actually flex. It would be pretty tough to go back now try and resolve.