+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outside outlets

Default outside outlets

There are three outside outlets at the back of my house. One is up on the deck and two are down below. The one on the deck and the one below it are both dead. The other one is on the other side of the chimney by the door and is live. What might cause the two to be out and how would I fix them?

Default Re: outside outlets

Broken wire, disconnected wire, tripped breaker, tripped GFCI are a few of the possibilities. It will require tracing the wiring from the outlets to the fault.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Have a mystery switch that doesn't seem to do anything? bet it operates the outlets outside - easy control of holiday lighting strings and prevents use when unattended.

GFCI outlets ($12) and bubble - in use covers cheap ($3).

My money is on a tripped GFCI since these are outdoor outlets.

My Dad moved into a house and found out the hard way that the outside outlets were connected to a GFCI in a bathroom on the other side of the house.

Reset any and all GFCI's in your house that you can find and try the outlets again.

Quote Originally Posted by xyxoxy View Post
    My money is on a tripped GFCI since these are outdoor outlets.

My Dad moved into a house and found out the hard way that the outside outlets were connected to a GFCI in a bathroom on the other side of the house.

Reset any and all GFCI's in your house that you can find and try the outlets again.
    I have see that as well. And it will drive the homeowner and the trouble shooter bonkers...