+ Reply to Thread

Default To paint old woodwork or not to paint...

Need advice, our home is a 1920's craftsmen. The woodwork in the living room, dining room, & office (the rooms you see when entering the home) is all the original stained woodwork. It is beautiful & we get alot of complements on it. However, the remodeled kitchen & first floor bath have painted trim, off white in color. We've replaced all 1st floor windows (except kitchen & bath that are already newer) with vinyl replacements that look like stained wood. They match the woodwork well, you really can't tell the difference between the wood & the vinyl. We will be replacing the upstairs windows, however, this is my dilema. The trim upstairs is currently all stained & NOT in good condition plus there is some missing in one of the bedrooms. I would like to paint all the trim in the stairwell & all the bedrooms the same off white color as in the kitchen but that color wouldn't necessarily match any available replacement window colors (which are white, almond & stained wood). The almond color would be the closest. Would it look funny to replace all the windows with the stained wood color (same as the first floor) & then have all the trim around the windows the off white color? I thought to make it look a little more uniform I would leave all the doors stained to match the new windows & some of the banister in the stairwell but all the trim boards would be off white. Need your honest opinion. I don't want to paint & then have to strip it & it's also holding us up on ordering the new windows which we need desperately.

Default Re: To paint old woodwork or not to paint...

First it's obvious you are not interested in restoring the house (vinyl windows), so it would have to be your preference. Mine would be to refinish the wood work as it was originally done and install wood windows to match the original, but that is just my preference and I don't live there.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: To paint old woodwork or not to paint...

With these replacement windows we can use the existing trim. We weren't as concerned with restoring the home back to it's original condition as we were with making it more energy efficient. Also, the exterior of the home already had low maintenance siding so I wanted to continue that with the windows. I couldn't find replacement windows that were vinyl on the outside & wood on the inside, that would have been my first choice. Instead we choose this high quality replacement window. Outside of being vinyl, the style of the window is exactly the same.