+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default have to raise cement floor 2 inches but want to insulate

i haveqa front porch with a cement floor that i want to raise up a few inches and insulate it any ideas ? i was thinking 1x1's frame, then outside styrophome insultion inbetween the frames then some kinda of covering. really need some feed back on this thanks.

Default Re: have to raise cement floor 2 inches but want to insulate

Is it an outside porch? If so, insulation will not make any difference.

Question Re: have to raise cement floor 2 inches but want to insulate

First and foremost your floor is called concrete not cement. Sorry it just kills me to hear that. Concrete uses five ingredients to be made fine and coarse aggregate, portland cement, water and air. Cement is merely an ingredient used in making concrete. Anyhow I'm sorry for all that hope I haven't scared you away. Is what your trying to say is you would like to raise the finished height of your floor without pouring a concrete cap on top? If so you are referring to affixing sleepers to concrete. This can be done either with a power actuated driver or by drilling through the sleeper and concrete slab at the same time with a 1/4" hammer drill bit and driving two 16d sinker nails at the same time into the hole with a framing hammer. You can pretty much use any thickness for your sleeper as long as you can affix your subfloor properly but the subfloor thickness does depend on what the finished flooring will be. You should use an exterior graded plywood for the subfloor like PT CDX. Pressure treated CDX means that there is C grade veneer on one side and a D grade veneer on the. The X mean the glue is weather resistive. PT sleepers and deck screws to affix the subfloor to the sleepers would be a wise choice. And as far as the insulation goes...can you please tell me the reasoning behind this? If you tell me what you plan to achieve in the end or what the finished flooring will be we will be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by remedialmofo View Post
    If so you are referring to affixing sleepers to concrete. This can be done either with a power actuated driver...
    First and foremost this fastener is powder actuated because the fastener is driven into the material by a cartridge similar to a .22 rifle cartidge that we all know & love. Sorry it just kills me to hear that.
    Well not really, I just couldn't pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    First and foremost this fastener is powder actuated because the fastener is driven into the material by a cartridge similar to a .22 rifle cartidge that we all know & love. Sorry it just kills me to hear that.
    Well not really, I just couldn't pass it up.
    I'm confused did I really need to include that. Also most people have seen another caliber round for PAD's and it's a 27 caliber. I am not a big fan of using these unless you are driving into fresh concrete. Someone could really goof trying to find the perfect level of the load. To low of a level and you don't make it to high of a level and you blow out a chunk of concrete. It's safer for me to hand drive them going behind someone who has drilled for me.

Need I say more

Ummmmmmmm...flathead tapcons to fasten sleepers to concrete. Leave the firearms outta the mix altogether.

Not a good idea to use plywood (treated or not) for a weather-exposed porch floor ...if indeed this is an exposed porch. (We don't have feedack yet though) I wouldn't do it anyway cause it ain't gonna stand up to the test of time and weather in this type of application.

Me thinks this porch must be enclosed and therefore would benefit from the insulation if it is to be heated and/or cooled ...in the future. 1 1/2" XPS foam sheets cut to fit between treated 2x sleepers on 16" OC (12" would be better)....with those sleepers laying on a sheet of 6 mil plastic .....with 1/2 ply subfloor over = 2".

For more inches of gain - Rip sleepers from wider stock, use thicker XPS or stack thinner sheets....and/or use thicker ply for subfloor. 5/8" or better plywood would provide much better support with sleepers that are 16" OC. Use tongue and groove ply for best results.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-28-2008 at 12:28 AM.

I have no desire to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation. I have a 12' x 6' CONCRETE porch that is out in the elements. The surface is very badly deterioriated and I wondered what would be best, a cap or lay sleepers down and put on T&G decking.

To my mind the wooden deck would be the best looking option, but I think the wood would not have a chance to dry out. Air movement would be minimal under the sleepers. My concern would be that this would lead to premature failure of the decking. On the other hand a concrete cap would be relatively easy to pour, but might not look as good as the wood. A third option for me, I may put down something like fieldstone in the cap or as a cap. Would look good and be long lasting, assuming I could keep water from getting under the fieldstone.

One question, if I pour a solid CONCRETE cap, what is a minimal depth, 3" or so?? Any other particulars to consider?

Phil

well thanks for the responses guy. this room is gonna be a finished room the garage does sit underneith it so its not hit by the elements. i just wanted to raise the floor to the hieght of an attached room and insult it i have read these posts and i had a similar idea as to the ones above. i was gonna fill the gaps of the frameing with some sort of insulation ( not sure of all the names of products). i was thinking the stuff i see on the outside walls of new construction the pink stuff lol. i was gonna fasten the frame with tapcon screws and top pff with some sort of plywood the carpeting. any other ideas will be greaty apperiacted.

thanks

FSF,

On the subject of going with wood decking....you do realize that you'd be creating a maintenance issue. ??? How much of one depends upon which direction the porch faces, whether you choose to stain it, etc.

Also...is the current concrete pitted up from the use of salt during the winter months? Wouldn't recommend using salt on decking...if that might be a necessary because of icing or similar.

Instead of wood decking, you could consider composite decking (Trex or similar) screwed down to treated sleepers. Just a thought.

How's about a stamped concrete shot over the top of existing? These can be made to mimic fieldstone. That way...no grout/mortar between stones to fail.

(If by badly deteriorated current concrete...you mean pitting, spalling, etc...then a shot over the top should work. But...if the current is broken up into pieces that are no longer coplanar, but are shifted in heighth....this would indicate a problem under that concrete. If that's the case, I wouldn't advise pouring over it...or decking over it. The underlying issue woud have to be dealt with to get any type of long lasting result.)
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-28-2008 at 08:42 PM.