Wacky wiring-please help!
I recently tried to replace my ceiling fan in the upstairs hallway of my 1919 house. The wiring is old, but encased in flexible conduit, so I'm guessing it was installed in the 1920's or so.
When I disconnected the wires and the tape holding them together, I turned the circuit back on to see which ones had power and which didn't and only one wire now has power, and all the bedrooms no longer work! There are 3 wires per conduit (black, white and red) and I just don't understand what happened that would suddenly make everything not work except one wire.
I am installing the fan where a light was previously, and it is on a 3-way switch attached to another light farther down the hall, ending in a 3-way switch.
Any ideas, aside from ripping down ceilings and rewiring the whole house?!