+ Reply to Thread

Question How to reuse the baseboard modeling for new wood floor

I plan to remove my carpet and to install solid hardwood floor or engineered wood floor. I want to reuse my current baseboard modeling which is 3.25" in height and 0.5" or 9/16" thick at the bottom. Wood floor requires a gap of 0.25"-0.5" between floor and wall. Can I reuse my baseboard modeling to cover that gap? If I add a shoe modeling, I feel it's not the correct style to match the baseboard modeling which one side is in curve. Can I leave the gap less than 0.25"? I prefer not do install new baseboard modeling which requires extra time and money. How to do that?

Default Re: How to reuse the baseboard modeling for new wood floor

Yes, you can remove the base, install the floor, and reinstall the base. Expect some damage to both the base and the walls that will require repair or replacement.

When installing the floor just make sure that whomever is doing it keeps the expansion gap smaller than the molding is wide and you'll be fine, otherwise you'll be stuck with upgrading to a thicker base or running a base shoe.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

My concern is will the 0.5" baseboard cover 0.25" gap well?

Since the base should be installed tightly to the floor, yes. As long as the gap is less than the thickness of the trim, there won't be a problem.

Flooring doesn't expand or contract all that much, so you only need to leave 1/4" +/- gap. If you're concerned that you need more, then undercut the drywall by the thickness of the flooring if there isn't a gap there already, this will give you an additional 1/2" or so expansion room for the floor (an inch if you count doing it to the other side of the room as well).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi,
    Odds are that the drywall stops short of the subfloor anyway, and there will be your 1/2" expansion gap.
    Even if it runs tight to the floor, it can be cut away fairly easily, and the 9/16 base will be fine with or w/o shoe.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Smile Re: How to reuse the baseboard modeling for new wood floor

Good suggestions. Feels no need to worry about that now.

You can also cut the bottom of the baseboard with a jamb saw. You can rent an electric jamb saw. This way you don't have to remove the baseboard and the wall won't get messed up. If there is a quarter round molding on the baseboard, remove the quater round. Sand the baseboard where the quarter round was because there will probably be leftover paint or filler. You want the the baseboard to be clean and smooth so after you install the floor, you can install new quarter rounds. There should be plenty of room for an expansion gap, and the baseboard will look great. Quarter rounds are cheap and easy to install.