+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to paint a metal door

We have redone our kitchen and installed a new metal door leading outside and would like to paint the outside side of the door to match the other doors. How do you go about painting the outside of a metal door? My husband wants to wait until spring and take the door off the hinges and spray paint the door, but, I kind of think that he is making it a bigger project than necessary. Any suggestions to make it easier with the same finished effect as spray painting would offer? Thanks

Default Re: How to paint a metal door

Sorry , I'm with your husband .

Proud Mom,

Me too! I would even go so far as to spray an automotive finish rather than a conventional housepaint.

From personal experience, I can tell you the "primer" finish on most steel entrance doors is very hard and slick and would last easily until spring. I am like the shoemaker whose kids have no shoes. Three years after building a new garden shed , the entrance door still looks good with nothing but the primer on it. When I get around to it, I do plan on spraying it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    just make sure the paint is compatible with the door, and if its a fairly new make sure it does not void the warrenty
    Right on the money!

Both my builder and the paint contractor would let me choose any color except black.

I would also advise re-primming the door before painting. Primer has a relatively short useful life, even if it still looks good. I have brush painted and spray painted metal doors. If you do decide to mask and paint in place, use a good quality oil based paint to get the smoothest finish. Oil based paint has much better self leveling properties than latex.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

JL,

I have never trusted that primer that comes on metal doors. It feels very hard and slick to me, having very little "tooth". It might be OK for an oil finish coat, but I would never recommend going directly over it with a latex paint without first re-priming it. You are correct in stating that primers degrade with time. Who knows how long ago that door was manufactured and where and how it was stored.

I have never had problems with painting them dark colors. However, if the door has plastic trim around the glass, I would be hesitant to paint it with a dark color. PVC distorts at as little as 130 degrees! The steel inself has a relatively low coefficient of expansion compared to plastic or aluminum and should not be a factor in breaking the bond of a good finish coat of oil or latex.

Wink Re: How to paint a metal door

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Mom View Post
    We have redone our kitchen and installed a new metal door leading outside and would like to paint the outside side of the door to match the other doors. How do you go about painting the outside of a metal door? My husband wants to wait until spring and take the door off the hinges and spray paint the door, but, I kind of think that he is making it a bigger project than necessary. Any suggestions to make it easier with the same finished effect as spray painting would offer? Thanks
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hi

First wash the door with vinagar diluted in luke water then apply a coat of ''Bin'' Oil base primer sealer then sand the door with a sand paper # 120
    Paint a second n third coat of your oil paint n sand between each coat with a # 180 or 220
    If a latex paint his applied a second coat of primer sealer is required after installing the Bin

Have a nice day

I'm with your husband as well. I would take the door off and spray paint it. Trust me it will last longer and look better in the long run. I would also highly recommend finding out what type of primer is on the door. This is easily done by looking at who made the door and finding the manufacure of the door on the web and then calling them and asking them. If you do not do this your husband might find out when he puts his primer over the old primer it just might bubble up due to improper paint types. And if this happens it is a pain in the you know what. Trust me I've been down that road and it is not fun or easy.