+ Reply to Thread

Question Needing texture ideas for walls

Hey my name is Dez and I'm new to the board. My home is from '52 and the current drywall texture is stippling that has cut me way too many times. Three months ago I had the foundation problems solved so its finally time to start the drywall. To hide old repairs and blend the new repairs I shaved all the acoustical popcorn and have decided to shave all the mud icicles down on the wall and skim over everything. My guy is wanting to doing a trowel finish on both the walls and ceiling 90% smooth and 10% trowel marks giving it an old world look. And break up the walls and ceiling with color. What I am curious about is there another finish we could do given the scenario. Links to what your proposed idea looks like would be helpful. Also I should add that I will be trying to appeal to the general public as the home will hopefully be on the market in February of next year. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by remedialmofo; 09-25-2008 at 01:26 AM.

Default Re: Needing texture ideas for walls

Personally I would go with a smooth coat. Properly sealed it can be painted or papered and easily re painted or papered later if you want.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I lean to the classic orange peel or knock-down, personally I like knock-down a bit better. It is applied using a texture gun and left alone (orange peel ) or a drywall knife is gently dragged across the tops of the texture to flatten it a bit (knock-down ).

Both of these textures can be primed and painted or wall paper applied over it. Again, personally I prefer paint because it can be cleaned and freshened or changed without any hassles or headaches, unlike wallpaper. I recommend against perfectly smooth or "troweled" finishes because perfectly smooth is extremely hard to achieve, even then, walls tend to get beaten up pretty good and the resulting pock marks will stand out like sore thumbs. IMHO troweled finishes look dated. It would be one thing to do them in a period style home, or as decor in a room or two, but I certainly wouldn't like the entire house to be that way.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Needing texture ideas for walls

I am not a realtor but I am a landlord and have talked to various real estate agents over the years and many of them are my friends. I agree with JLMCDANIEL keep it simple if you want to sell your house. Many times according to my real estate friends homeowners go overboard as far as decorative finishes are concerned and their house doesn't sell very fast and they wonder why.
    It is true that a freshly painted house that is painted right and not in a sloppy manner will help you sell your house. However certain textured ceiling applications or textured wall applications can be a real turn off to potential buyers. If you really must do a textured wall then I would suggest a burnished wall. With burnishing it looks more like a flat paint job but is really done with from what I remember joint compound with a colorant added to it. It isn't too bad a look but there again isn't to everyones taste. It is also very time consuming and fairly hard to apply but when done right looks o.k.. Hometime did a project like that and you might be able to find information about how to do burnishing on their website at www.hometime.com . Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hedgeclippers View Post
    Hometime did a project like that and you might be able to find information about how to do burnishing on their website at www.hometime.com . Good Luck!
    Are you speaking of a veneer plaster using blueboard?

I strongly agree with spruce here. and the reason is that you are recoating over a previous finished wall, so there is no way it will be flat. your finisher may get it smooth but It won't be flat and any unevenness will show up as dark patches on your wall especially if you have sunlight shining on the wall and a nice knockdown texture will hide the majority of that. as far as seeing samples what I would reccommend is that you look at samples of knock down by whom you get to spray the texture. the reason for that is that everyone's texture will vary according to their equiptment, air pressure and thickness of their mix. I don't have real estate experience but over 25 years in the drywall and related trades.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    As far as seeing samples what I would reccommend is that you look at samples of knock down by whom you get to spray the texture. the reason for that is that everyone's texture will vary according to their equiptment, air pressure and thickness of their mix. I don't have real estate experience but over 25 years in the drywall and related trades.
    I strongly agree with you on this issue. This is exactly what I am trying to cover up and fix regarding the texture on both the ceiling and the walls. It was never hard for me to find the 25 years worth of patches everywhere. Sometimes I think to myself the same applicator of the original texture would be hard pressed to match the texture he had applied before. To me I'm even thinking it had everything to do with the mood they were in As for the bathroom walls and ceiling I still plan to apply an italian or venetian plaster as opposed to keeping it simple to expand my portfolio I have also heard that orange peel is very hard to pull off unless your ceiling is almost perfectly flat. Is this true from what you all have heard? But as far as knockdown goes I do love some of the ones I have seen. What are your thoughts on a smooth ceiling and a bold knockdown on the vertical surfaces?

Quote Originally Posted by remedialmofo View Post
    I strongly agree with you on this issue. This is exactly what I am trying to cover up and fix regarding the texture on both the ceiling and the walls. It was never hard for me to find the 25 years worth of patches everywhere. Sometimes I think to myself the same applicator of the original texture would be hard pressed to match the texture he had applied before. To me I'm even thinking it had everything to do with the mood they were in way more true then you know As for the bathroom walls and ceiling I still plan to apply an italian or venetian plaster as opposed to keeping it simple to expand my portfolio I have also heard that orange peel is very hard to pull off unless your ceiling is almost perfectly flat. Is this true from what you all have heard? usually because most lighting is right below the ceiling the lights will cause more shadowing then the walls and that would also be true regarding a smooth ceiling. that is why you normally see popcorn on ceilings because that is what will hide the most. so in this case you might think of doing a heavy knock down on the ceiling But as far as knockdown goes I do love some of the ones I have seen. What are your thoughts on a smooth ceiling and a bold knockdown on the vertical surfaces?
    you could go with a heavy orange peel or a knock down, I have double sprayed my orange peel over older areas to give it more hide and that might be something you consider.

while your doing your drywall work just a simple clean up tip is before you start applying mud spray window jams with wd40 and they will just wipe clean real easy after your finished. it is worth the time to cover windows with paper or plastic before spraying texture. I don't know how much experience you have in drywall but if you are fairly handy think about doing your spraying yourself. a hopper gun (and don't buy one from harbor freight) is going to range from around I think its like 70 at lowe's or around a hundred at a drywall supply for a good ****blat. thin your mud down to about the consistancy of real thick paint and set your compressor to around 60 and practice on some scrap drywall. you will find all kinds of how to videos on yourtube on spraying texture you will see that there are several other textures you could do also. you are only limited by your imagination.