+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Clopay 2050 missing parts

I bought this Clopay 2050 on Sep 10, 2011 at HOME DEPOT (Brampton) and planning to install in the weekend. But when I open the Boxes and check every item list in the manual before do the installation and found out that the parts were missing, all most every important pieces are missing. In the manual and CD mention to call 1-800-225-6729 . I did call the number then they said I bought from Home Depot I should contact to Home depot and transfer my call to Home Depot , the person answer from Home deport transfer me back to Clopay support, at Clopay support try to transfer me back to Home depot again then I asked why did you guys just passing around, because i just call and the same person answer my call . I'm so frustratred and came direct to home depot and ask the gentement working at the Windows and doors apartment , he try to help me and order the new set hardware for me to replace the missing one. But untill today Sep 26, 2011 I still don't have any information about the replacement hardware. I came to home depot again and ask the status of the hardware, the genterment working there tell me the hardware still NOT SHIP. Now I have no choice is have to wait , because I told them I will return the Garage door and buy from another store, He said problably it will be the same, it may be all the dooor have missing pieces, and I will be charge on the re stock fee of the garage door.
    Now I have to wait for the replacement hardware come, and hopefully that it's will come before the end of this year. It's screw up all my of my plans and schedules, every thing have to changes
    This is my experience with the Clopay garage door product. Good luck for you all want to buy this product and you may be have the bester luck than me.

Default Re: Garage door reviews - or how to shop

When it comes to sectional garage doors, proper installation is the most important factor. The reason: after installation, the door has to be balanced and aligned, for smooth up and down. All of the problems mentioned here are the results of poor installations.

That's why this job is for the pros. They do the installation faster, more efficiently, and cheaper.

I had 3 doors installed in the last 2 months. The installer put in Dalton double doors and I installed the LiftMaster openers (made by Chamberlaine). Since these were for rental houses, I chose the basic units.

Save yourself the agony and headache - get a garage door company do it all for you, for less than you can do yourself.

Smile Re: Garage door reviews - or how to shop

Try Sears Garage Doors. I got a Sears 3000, it wasn't much more than their base model and has plenty of insulation. My technician brought me panel samples so I could see the difference. All together with installation it was very comparative to a lesser quality door sold at a big box store. The hardest part for me was choosing the color and window design, but they helped me with that on their website when I called in to order.

Hi, I'm also looking for garage door advice, especially when it comes to big doors, like say an RV door of 14'h by 12'w. One one home the building installed a sectional door with a "sidewinder" opener mounted to the header with torsion springs. This works fine, but is there any reason to consider a roll-up (coil) door? A coil door leaves more space inside the garage, especially if the ceiling is much higher than the door height, right? Anything I should think about?

My project is a big garage, probably a steel building, with one big RV door and a couple of smaller doors.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by barclayb View Post
    Hi, I'm also looking for garage door advice, especially when it comes to big doors, like say an RV door of 14'h by 12'w. One one home the building installed a sectional door with a "sidewinder" opener mounted to the header with torsion springs. This works fine, but is there any reason to consider a roll-up (coil) door? A coil door leaves more space inside the garage, especially if the ceiling is much higher than the door height, right? Anything I should think about?

My project is a big garage, probably a steel building, with one big RV door and a couple of smaller doors.

Thanks!
    For what you want to do, a rolling door (you call it coil door), will be a better choice than a sectional door.

Servicegaragedoors.us offers a wide variety of garage door styles and options to choose from.

They are louder, but far more secure (thieves and hurricanes)

Wider openings need better bracing or roll-up doors. Cheap doors sag the panels when open from insufficient bracing. This is usually an option not normally used in most installations but it's a good idea. Chain drive and belt drive openers are fine when tensioned correctly. Use motorcycle spray chain lube on the chain models once every couple years, more often in humid locations. Keep toothed belts clean and apply nothing to them. Chain lube works great for the rollers too.

Side springs absolutely must have the safety cable properly threaded through them
    , and they do stretch or break occasionally but work OK on lighter doors. These are far easier for a DIY'er to deal with. Though not really a tough job, I rate these as 6-7 on a DIY scale of 10 because of the many details which need careful attention to get a top-notch result. After you do one they're pretty easy. Coil spring types need the coil brackets very securely fastened, and when winding be very sure to insert the winding rod fully into the hole every time- it's like a bullet if it slips out (and so are unrestrained side-springs when they break)

Someone mentioned using a retail-store installer, and I never recommend going this route for anything. First, you'll pay too much- the installer gets his pay and the store skims a profit on top of that. The installers are just local guys and often not the best in their trade(s) since the stores offer pretty low per-job pay scales. The only advantage to going this route is installment payments may be available through the store if you can't get that any other way.

And someone else mentioned the run-around from items bought from a 'big box' store. Forget the manufacturer and deal with the store directly. You'd be surprised how many 'new' packages the sell that have parts missing because their sales staff 'borrowed' some to appease a previous customer who lost of ruined parts from their kit. Pocket door kits are the worst for that but it can happen with anything. Accept nothing from a store that is not in it's sealed and unopened factory box with no damage of any kind evident to the box. If you complain loudly enough, the 'bog-box' store will either 'borrow' the parts you need from the next kit or swap it out. Manufacturers know all this, and they didn't make a mistake which is why they often give you a run-around when they find where you bought their stuff.

I can't recommend brands save that the Clopay models I've sen do seem to be a better than average door, but more than anything the installation is what makes the biggest difference with garage doors. If you aren't certain you can do a good job of it, get a few bids from local garage door contractors- their professional installation isn't very costly and they can get the job done in a few hours or less versus it being your Saturday or weekend project.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by moldoveanunicolae View Post
    Very interesting and useful tips I think.I read step by step this informations and help me so much.Thank you for this great informations
    Just curious, since it seems like you are from Romania: do you have a garage door? is it for residential or commercial use?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Just curious, since it seems like you are from Romania: do you have a garage door? is it for residential or commercial use?
    It's used for serving spam to the internet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!