+ Reply to Thread

Question paint over wallpaper glue

I pulled off comerical wallpaper and want to know if I can paint over the glue left on the wall with latex sand paint? The glue is not flakey and looks ok.

Default Re: paint over wallpaper glue

The glue should be water soluble and cleaned off as best as possible before painting to provide the best finish.

If the glue won't come off, then you can either prime and paint (preferred ) or just paint. Be forewarned, painting will likely raise the visibility of the glue on the wall due to it's rough texture and possible sheen differences cause by that texture.

The best fix for glue that won't come off is to sc**** any lumps off then skim coat the wall with topping compound, sand smooth, apply texture or not - depending on your tastes, prime 2 coats (blue label Zinnser ), paint 2 coats (good quality, name brand paint ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Uncle,

All wallcovering pastes are water soluable(some more than others). You intend to paint over it with a water based, heavy bodied texture paint. Bad idea! You are inviting the paste to cause the finish coat to flake up or at least discolor.

Commercial wallcoverings are typically hung with heavy bodied clay based, pre-mixed pastes. There is a heavy amount of paste on the wall, i.e. plenty of paste to be activated by a water based paint.

At a minimum, I would paint a small test panel to see what happens. Spruce is correct. The paste should be washed off first.
    Over the years, I have learned that trying to avoid a disagreeable task has often led to much more work in the long run.

If you insist on painting over the paste, I would prime first with an oil based primer, much in the same way that you do when painting over wallpaper itself. This is done in hopes of preventing the moisture in the paint from activating the water soluable paste and causing it to release.

If that sand textured paint starts flaking off, you will have a nightmare on your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    At a minimum, I would paint a small test panel to see what happens. Spruce is correct. The paste should be washed off first.
    Over the years, I have learned that trying to avoid a disagreeable task has often led to much more work that is even more disagreeable in the long run.
    There, I fixed it for ya Ordj
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, decided better the remove glue. Hot water and a scrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Thanks, decided better the remove glue. Hot water and a scrapper.
    You shouldn't really need a sc****r, just a bucket of warm water and a good dense sponge or rag. Wet the wall and let it sit for a few moments, then wipe and repeat. The glue should soften pretty quickly and wipe off fairly easily.

Earlier when I mentioned glue that wouldn't come off, I was referring to the various sticky substances that folks will use to glue down loose seams and such.

Yes. You can paint over the glue with Zinsser Gardz then apply your sand paint.
    A collection of efficient painting methods, painting tips, outstanding tools and product reviews at Hidden Content and jackpauhl.blogspot.com

Smile Re: paint over wallpaper glue

One CAN do anything, the question is whether one is wise in doing so. If the moisture from that heavy coat of sanded texture paint works its way through the protective coat of Gardz to the water soluble clay paste below it, a nightmare is the result.

Not to worry, Zinsser will undoubtably send a check for all the resulting damage! But then, manufacturers' warranties was another thread covered here.