+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default 2nd Floor Balcony Deck Without Vertical Supports

Does anyone know how to figure out if a 2nd floor deck requires stilts? I want to add a 2nd floor balcony type deck to my home and I'd like to do it solely attached to the house without vertical supports. It will be an addition so I don't think cantilevering will be possible. Any thoughts?

Default Re: 2nd Floor Balcony Deck Without Vertical Supports

Without opening up the side wall for structural renforcement and attachment the simplest way would be using the vertical support posts.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

While it would require opening up the wall more, brackets from the deck back to the wall could work.
    Don't expect to get a permit without an engineers or architects stamp though.
    Practically, their is no way to do what you want without extra support or extensive modification to the existing house.

It's possible in some cases.

My own home is floored using 12" TJs and there are a couple of balconies on the house without vertical supports. The way this was done was to sister a 2x8 joist on each side of the TJ webbing. The 2x8s go about 6 feet back into the house for a 4 foot deep balcony.

This technique is described in the TJ product documentation and is very strong.

I don't know if this could be applied to joists made of ordinary dimensional lumber, however.

I imagine it could be done with standard joists, but the deck joists would have to be the same dimension as the floor joists. Like other posters have suggested, you may need to have engineered plans in order to get a permit for this kind of modification, unless the inspector's wife was really nice to him this morning.

Generally speaking when cantilevering there is a 2 to 1 ratio .... in other words .... for every 1 foot of cantilevered joist there needs to be at least 2 feet properly attached to the inside joist.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush