+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tub Drain

Default Tub Drain

Well I have a problem with the drain in my tub and need help to see if it can be fixed or get rid of the tub!
    It is in a modular home and a garden tub fiberglass. My son took the tub up and was looking for a leak in the process he dropped the drain while putting the tub back. The one faucet was leaking and he fixed that! Well to make a long story short he dropped the drain and can not get it to come up because the drain cover in the tub is plastic and glued/ I can move the drain with a hanger it is just sitting there. Need to know if I remove the drain cover that is glued where you put the plug in to hold the water and pull the drain up on a flex hose type will I be able to re fasten it and repair to be able to ever take a bath again. He says it can not be done. I have a bad bone disease and need to soak and relax in my tub it has been almost 2 years and I really want to try and use it again. My husband passed away 5 years ago so I am on my own to do this. I sure hope I get an answer to this!
    Any help appreciated!

Default Re: Tub Drain

Yes, this can be fixed, though it may require a trip under the trailer to push the tail piece back up into place. I would suggest hiring a plumber or someone versed in mobile home repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: Tub Drain

Well this is a problem as to the fact of the insulation my son said if he does this no way to put it back on the metal frame so that is out! Also what do we attach the drain back on to and with I can see the drain and move it with my finger evidently it was not the screw on type just glued. That is why I asked about removal of the drain placement circle also glued in and plastic if removed can a new stainless steel one but put in after the removal of the old set.

Default Re: Tub Drain

If the tail piece is broken, there's is not other means of repair but to access the drain. This can be done from underneath by cutting a small hole in the insulation at the point of the drain. The fabric on the back of the insulation is usually pretty tough and if care is taken while making the access point, it can be stitched back together when the repair is complete. The only other option would be to go through the wall on the other side of the tub to access the drain. This won't disturb the insulation under the house, but will then require repair of the wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!