+ Reply to Thread
    Thumb of Michigan (our state is shaped like a mitten!)

Default How to create an easy-clean floor in a kid-filled farmhouse

I'm looking for ideas or resources for creating a floor that will truly be as easy as possible to clean. We have young kids (ever seen a toddler eat?) and a farm (tracked in dirt from outside no matter how hard I work to keep it in the mudroom).

We are renovating a farmhouse and not living in it until it's done, so this is my chance to design the kitchen floor of my dreams.

Before I ever thought I'd have the opportunity, I used to tell my husband I wanted the kitchen made like a dairy farm's milking parlor: surfaces that can be hosed down to a big floor drain in the middle! Now I'm not sure I'm kidding about the floor drain.

All ideas are appreciated!

Default Re: How to create an easy-clean floor in a kid-filled farmhouse

The most user friendly surface, IMHO is sheet vinyl, however for durability you may want to look into tile. There are pro's and cons to both in your situation.

Vinyl:
    Pro's - It's a "solid" surface, no nooks or crannies for dirt or moisure to hide. It's easier on the feet and legs to stand on for long periods of time. It's not as hard on knees, elbows, and heads when the toddlers take a tumble.

Con's - It will marr under high traffic. May fade where exposed to excessive direct sun (sliding glass doors ).

Tile:
    Pro's - "solid surface" as long as grout lines are intact. Surface dings and chips don't leak when water is spilled or during normal cleanings. Very durable.

Con's: extremely hard on legs and back when standing for long periods of time. Extremely hard on knees, elbows, and heads when the toddlers take a tumble. Grout can harbor dirt and germs that are difficult to remove. Grout and uneven tile takes an extreme toll on mopping equipment.

I grew up on a 100 acre ranch in the sticks, our entry, kitchen, and dining rooms were VCT tile (commercial vinyl tile ) which held up well, though does allow moisture through which can loosen tiles and damage wooden subfloors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!