We are heading toward the close of the purchase of a 47 year old 3 story house. It's a bank owned foreclosure and an "as-is" sale so we've done a ton of inspections but I'm hoping to get some additional feedback or opinions.

The crawl-space is very large and high so one can see the foundation walls quite clearly with a flashlight. All the concrete foundation walls are easily accessible except the left wall which is roughly covered up with ply wood. (picture below) Obviously we can't have any idea of the condition of this covered wall and since we don't own it yet, we don't have the right to take the wood down to see behind it. I'm concerned because it is a very very large house. Our agent says, since it's a bank-owned property that the bank will not even be troubled to let us see behind the wood and that's "just how it is with bank-owned foreclosures." I'm hearing "it's no big deal" a lot too. Call me crazy but foundation mysteries in big old houses are deal-breakers for me. This is our first house and we are in earthquake country.

Does anyone have any experience with getting permissions like this on a foreclosed house from the owning bank?
I've been doing a lot of reading on this but we are very ignorant on things like this & aren't sure if we are being neurotic about not being able to see the foundation wall or not. Our inspection report reflects only on "what is visible."

I would really be so grateful for some feedback.

Thanks.