+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Help with Major Decision Re: Structural work

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some input on a decision I need to make in about 72 hours. We are looking to buy an old (~1830) house in MA and have recently found out that the house will require major work - specifically replacment of the mud sill all around. We are being told that this may cost in excess of $40k.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had this renovation done to their house? If so, how long does it take? is it live-able during the fix? does $40k sound reasonable? It is a 2000 sq foot former-tavern.

Any advice, questions, and or comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Help with Major Decision Re: Structural work

I'm sure it depends on the condition of the rest of the structure, but the only way I can think of to replace a mudsill is to jack up the house, yank the old one out, and slide a new one in. I'm no expert on the matter of house jacking, but $40K doesn't sound like a bad price at all considering the work involved.

Is it liveable? First instinct says yes. Any lifting work would be temporary and should be well enough braced that you could walk on the floor above. That being said, I wouldn't have any huge parties while the work is being done. The contractor should be able to give you a very good idea of what to expect, as this kind of work requires a good deal of experience, not something your average one-man carpenter operation would be doing.